Re: VirtualBox image

ancienthart

Aug 31, 2011, 6:05:12 PM8/31/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com, sage-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Volker,
In this release I noticed that R doesn't support graphics. Is it possible to fix this?

Joal Heagney

ancienthart

Sep 1, 2011, 7:00:48 PM9/1/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com, sage-w...@googlegroups.com
boxplot(data)

Emil Widmann

Sep 14, 2011, 2:50:56 AM9/14/11
to sage-windows
Hi,

maybe this link helps
http://ask.sagemath.org/question/315/how-to-use-r-with-sage

I had similar problems to get R plotting to work about half a year
ago.
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/9f169aadcccc5711/23703b19de38ffb6?q=how+to+enable+plotting+in+R

I needed this to had plotting of R work out of the box in the live CD
image.
I *think* I had to install TCL/TK and then recompile sage from scratch
to solve this hickup
I used this build script for the live CD:
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sagelithe/buildsage.sh

After that I used the live CD version to produce a really small sage
virtual machine
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sagelithe/vm-sage-lithe-a1.zip
As far I can remember I could plot inside the notebook from R and also
from Matplotlib (at least using workarounds like described in the
first link)

I hope this could give some pointers where to look for the solution.
Maybe it is possible to add TCL/TK to Volker Brauns build script for
the virtual image. I think R's plotting engine is a fine asset and it
would be a shame if it would not work out of the box on windows
machines.

kind regards
emil

On 2 Sep., 00:00, ancienthart <joalheag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> boxplot(data)

Jason Grout

Sep 14, 2011, 3:11:38 AM9/14/11
to sage-w...@googlegroups.com
On 9/14/11 1:50 AM, Emil Widmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe this link helps
> http://ask.sagemath.org/question/315/how-to-use-r-with-sage
>
> I had similar problems to get R plotting to work about half a year
> ago.
> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/9f169aadcccc5711/23703b19de38ffb6?q=how+to+enable+plotting+in+R
>
> I needed this to had plotting of R work out of the box in the live CD
> image.
> I *think* I had to install TCL/TK and then recompile sage from scratch
> to solve this hickup
> I used this build script for the live CD:
> http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sagelithe/buildsage.sh

In order to get R graphics working for my Sage server setup instructions
at http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageServer, I had to install libpango1.0-dev
and libcairo-dev (in Ubuntu) before compiling Sage. I also installed
the xorg-dev, libpng-dev, and r-base packages, but I don't know if they
were strictly needed.

Thanks,

Jason