building from source: setuptools says "Function not implemented"

j.d.c...@sheffield.ac.uk

Jul 15, 2014, 4:17:13 PM7/15/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I am attempting to build SAGE 6.2 from source on a cluster running Scientific Linux (a Red Hat derivative; kernel 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6.x86_64). The CPU was (I'm fairly sure) an AMD Opteron 2218 HE. My build effort failed while trying to build setuptools, giving a somewhat taciturn error message. I've attached the log file that was generated. The apparently most relevant exerpt is:

creating 'dist/setuptools-2.0.1-py2.7.egg' and adding 'build/bdist.linux-x86_64
/egg' to it
removing 'build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg' (and everything under it)
Processing setuptools-2.0.1-py2.7.egg
Copying setuptools-2.0.1-py2.7.egg to /mnt/fastdata/sm4jdc/sage/sage-6.2/local/
lib/python2.7/site-packages
Adding setuptools 2.0.1 to easy-install.pth file
error: Function not implemented

I have searched the web for this error message and surrounding text, but didn't find anything helpful. All advice welcome; I'm only a grunt on the machine, but the superuser is friendly and between us we should be able to implement any suggestions.
setuptools-2.0.1.p0.log

Volker Braun

Jul 15, 2014, 6:03:28 PM7/15/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I vaguely remember seeing that before, but not sure where. If you run "make" again does it fail consistently?

Volker Braun

Jul 15, 2014, 6:07:57 PM7/15/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
The latest beta upgraded setuptools to 3.6, this might fix it.

Volker Braun

Jul 15, 2014, 6:12:16 PM7/15/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
PPS: Which file system is this on? It might be flock() failing if your cluster fs doesn't support locking. In that case, does building on a local disk work?

j.d.c...@sheffield.ac.uk

Jul 16, 2014, 12:58:48 PM7/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies!

I had already had some file system troubles when I tried building on the cluster's nfs store. The problem there had to do with "cp -p" not preserving permissions. So I was building on the cluster's other network file storage, which uses lustre (which I know next to nothing about), and had got significantly further by doing so.

As you suggested, I tried building on a node's local disk and then copying to NFS. This worked like a charm! I appreciate the help.