How to install sagemathcloud on local computer?

Андрей Ширшов

Mar 15, 2014, 9:04:29 AM3/15/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
I'd like to install sagemathcloud on my own computer to lunch it and try to patch it.
How can I install sagemathcloud? I downloaded files from github and tried to lunch it but I haven't ~/.sagemathcloud directory....
I tried to find installation instructions via Yandex and Google but I didn't find anything.
Best regards, Andrei Shirshov.

Андрей Ширшов

Mar 15, 2014, 9:06:12 AM3/15/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to install sagemathcloud on my own computer to lunch it and try to patch it.

Sorry, launch, not lunch :)

William Stein

Mar 15, 2014, 9:29:36 AM3/15/14
to sage-support
Hi,

SageMathCloud is not available for local install.

-- William

> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Joni-Pekka Kurronen

Mar 23, 2014, 8:23:17 AM3/23/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

hi,

You do not any advantage from cloud install,.. most likely !
Install Sage Server instead.

I was intrested same idea, to get all home computers together
makeing large multiprocessor / multicore parallel calculations
but CLOUD version is ONLY to have many users'a coming in
same address and directed to many servers!

Most likely this is not what you wan't and whit SageServer
http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageServer you get OWN server
that work's like CLOUD!

My installation note's are here (ipv6, dynamic connection)

https://kurrola.dy.fi/mediawiki/index.php/Cluster_Kurrola

Just note that SAGE dose not support mpich3 (openmpi)
and only fork's processes inside one machine/processor
at moment.

Jerico Revote

Feb 8, 2016, 2:11:09 PM2/8/16
to sage-support
There's an increasing demand in our university to have a local installation/deployment of SMC,
so we can utilise our own research cloud infrastructure.
So would be good to find out if SMC can now be deployed locally on local institutions,
if this is now possible, detailed steps on how this can be done would be good.

Jerico Revote

Feb 8, 2016, 2:11:09 PM2/8/16
to sage-support
Hi,

Is SMC still not available for local/private installation?
Was trying to install SMC locally using steps in:
but some of the steps seems obsolete.
Is there a more comprehensive/latest instructions for installing SMC locally/private on our institution?

Regards,

Jerico

William Stein

Feb 8, 2016, 2:20:33 PM2/8/16
to sage-support
On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Jerico Revote <jerico...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is SMC still not available for local/private installation?

SMC has been 100% open source for over a year, and during that entire
time it has been available for local/private installation.

> Was trying to install SMC locally using steps in:
> https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/blob/master/INSTALL.md
> but some of the steps seems obsolete.
> Is there a more comprehensive/latest instructions for installing SMC
> locally/private on our institution?

No, those are the directions. Even with better instructions, though,
I can't imagine how anybody could actually maintain an SMC
installation without deeply understanding how it works.

We can only do so much, and by far our top priority is ensuring that
the website https://cloud.sagemath.com works, and works well,
especially for the (now many) people paying to use it. We aren't
spending any of our extremely limited time on other things (e.g.,
supporting private installs), and have no immediate plans to do so
(even for pay). I'm sorry that I have to make this hard choice, but
I do.

-- William
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sage-support.

William (http://wstein.org)

Harald Schilly

Feb 8, 2016, 2:29:26 PM2/8/16
to sage-support

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 8:11:09 PM UTC+1, Jerico Revote wrote:
Is SMC still not available for local/private installation?

SMC is available for any form of installation for at least a year now.

Note, that in src/dev/latop are newer instructions about how to set it up locally. Be aware, that this is only for development purposes, because you lose a lot of the security aspects. Some parts do not even work in that mode, too.

Is there a more comprehensive/latest instructions for installing SMC locally/private on our institution?

There are also a some descriptions for the dependencies to run SMC in src/smc-build.
Besides that I'm not aware of anything.

-- harald