Problems Running a Local SageCell Server

kjapolson

Mar 10, 2016, 1:08:37 PM3/10/16
to sage-support
I am attempting to make a version of the SageCell server in VirtualBox using Kubuntu 15.10. I have followed the installation instructions at https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell, and I believe I have SageCell built correctly. I have also done most of the configuration instructions and made slight modifications to the config.py file to fit my specific needs. When I attempt to run the SageCell server with the command ../sage/sage web_server.py using the default parameters for web_server.py, I get no error messages in the command line and it appears to be working when I look at the syslog file outputs as well. And when I open my html file in Firefox that has an embedded SageCell in it, the "Activate" button to start the SageCell appears. However, when I click the activate button, the SageCell just spins for a long time and never shows any output. There are not any error messages that show up in the syslog file when the SageCell is activated either, so I have no idea what the problem is. I am wondering if it has to do with some error or miscommunication occurring between the high level kernels that are running the SageCell server and something at a lower level. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Andrey Novoseltsev

Mar 11, 2016, 12:16:13 PM3/11/16
to sage-support
I can't say what is wrong either, but have you checked the browser console for any error messages? On a related note I am in the process of upgrading to new IPython/Jupiter (see develop branch on github) which may solve some issues as a side effect (or at least make it more clear what is going on).

kjapolson .

Mar 12, 2016, 10:57:05 AM3/12/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I do get the following error in the browser console:

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://localhost:8888/sockjs/info?t=1457796945558. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' does not match '*').

Andrey Novoseltsev

Mar 12, 2016, 7:26:30 PM3/12/16
to sage-support
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM, kjapolson . <kjap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do get the following error in the browser console:
>
> Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the
> remote resource at http://localhost:8888/sockjs/info?t=1457796945558.
> (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' does not match '*').

Ah, I though you have used the script for building everything. Your
problem is likely to be taken care of by
https://github.com/sagemath/sagecell/commit/0f51ab68b617348aafb95222e75a169b229335a7
but only in "production installation".