Problem installing on Ubuntu 18.04

Augustin Lefevre

Oct 1, 2018, 3:10:18 PM10/1/18
to sage-support
Hi,

I went through other posts with the same title, and tried several different ways to install sage, all without success :

1) with apt : apt-get install sage-jupyter
2) downloading the latest Ubuntu 16 binary : since there are no Ubuntu 18 binary I chose the most recent one, then ran sage.

In both cases I had the same crash at runtime, with the Sage_crash_report attached.

Does anyone have a clue ?

Best regards
Augustin Lefèvre
Sage_crash_report.txt

Augustin Lefevre

Oct 1, 2018, 3:43:45 PM10/1/18
to sage-support
 So it seems that when I make a symbolic link to /usr/share, running sage crashes

But when I run it directly from the install directory using : ./sage, everything runs fine, patches are compiled, and I get through to running a notebook.

Andy Howell

Oct 1, 2018, 3:57:50 PM10/1/18
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I  do the following:

- cd ~/bin
- untar the Ubuntu 16.04 version
- rename the ~/bin/SageMath to ~/bin/SageMath-8.3 so that I can have multiple versions if needed.
- ln -s ~/bin/SageMath-8.3/sage sage-8.3
- ln -s ~/bin/SageMath-8.3/sage sage     # My default version

~/bin is in my path, so I can just call:

sage

or

sage -n

The later for the notebook.