About running SAGE on Windows 8

Phoenix

Jun 4, 2015, 2:52:51 PM6/4/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Does one have to a virtual box of Oracle to run SAGE on Windows?  I am currently on a Windows 8 machine.

The sage-6.7.ova file that I am running through this virtual box is immensely slow!

Any help?

Kristoffer Ryhl-Johansen

Jun 5, 2015, 4:57:35 AM6/5/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Sage cannot run directly on windows, you must use a linux virtual machine if you want to run sage on windows. Of course it doesn't have to be virtualbox by oracle, you can use any virtual machine software you want.

If you want to use another virtualbox software, and you cant find an image with sage on, I'll gladly help you set it up in a normal linux installation.

slelievre

Jun 5, 2015, 10:53:23 AM6/5/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

2015-06-04 20:52:51 UTC+2, Phoenix:
Does one have to a virtual box of Oracle to run SAGE on Windows?

Please write Sage rather than SAGE.

I am currently on a Windows 8 machine.
The sage-6.7.ova file that I am running through this virtual box is immensely slow!

What processor? How much RAM?

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 5, 2015, 12:16:48 PM6/5/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 5 June 2015 09:57:35 UTC+1, Kristoffer Ryhl-Johansen wrote:
Sage cannot run directly on windows, you must use a linux virtual machine if you want to run sage on windows. Of course it doesn't have to be virtualbox by oracle, you can use any virtual machine software you want.

well, this is not quite so - Sage can be built on Windows running Cygwin64, although this is still experimental.

tor. 4. jun. 2015 kl. 20.52 skrev Phoenix <anirbit....@gmail.com>:
Does one have to a virtual box of Oracle to run SAGE on Windows?  I am currently on a Windows 8 machine.

The sage-6.7.ova file that I am running through this virtual box is immensely slow!

Any help?

the most radical advice is to install Linux :)