Upgrade sagemath server version 5.0.1. to the new one.

SUSANTA

Jun 18, 2019, 2:22:21 PM6/18/19
to sage-support
I have a sage server installed in a machine which is ubuntu 12.04 and the sagemath version is 5.0.1. Now I want to upgrade the sagemath version to the new one. However I don't know how to install the sagemath into the server if I format my machine for the fresh installation of ubuntu 18.04 and then installation of sagemath 8.7 by the source code (like the procedure of a local machine).
So what is safest procedure for me for the upgrade of sagemath?
Thanks

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 18, 2019, 3:15:39 PM6/18/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 19:22, SUSANTA <susantas...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a sage server installed in a machine which is ubuntu 12.04 and the sagemath version is 5.0.1. Now I want to upgrade the sagemath version to the new one. However I don't know how to install the sagemath into the server if I format my machine for the fresh installation of ubuntu 18.04 and then installation of sagemath 8.7 by the source code (like the procedure of a local machine).
So what is safest procedure for me for the upgrade of sagemath?

upgrading from such an old version won’t work, consider this as a new installation - you naturally would want to save your data such as sagenb notebooks, if you have any of these.

Thanks

SUSANTA SAMANTA

Jun 18, 2019, 3:39:21 PM6/18/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your advice. But if I want fresh installation then how can I install it to the server? After fresh installation of ubuntu 18.04 to the machine will my server  gone way? For that what will be the procedure?
Thanks

Thanks and Regards
SUSANTA SAMANTA
JRF, ASU
ISI KOLKATA

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 18, 2019, 4:34:59 PM6/18/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 20:39, SUSANTA SAMANTA <susantas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for your advice. But if I want fresh installation then how can I install it to the server? After fresh installation of ubuntu 18.04 to the machine will my server  gone way? For that what will be the procedure?

well, it is Ubuntu running your server, not the other way around.

I am not sure you can update from Ubuntu 12 to Ubuntu 18 directly.
If you do such an update, chances are that your present Sage installation would not work any more.

Anyhow, if you need advice on updating your Linux, this is not the place to ask for it...

SUSANTA SAMANTA

Jun 18, 2019, 4:42:03 PM6/18/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your valuable support.