Installing Package in Systemwise Sagemath

Taylor Huang

Aug 22, 2021, 9:49:28 AMAug 22
to sage-support

I installed Sagemath for the entire system using ``sudo apt-get install sagemath'' on my Ubuntu machine. When I tried to do something like ``sage -i kohel_database,'' it told me that it is an unknown option. As searched from the ASKSAGE etc., there's no such options within the apt installed version. So is there alternatives to install packages for this kind of sagemath environment? Or we need to start over and build a fresh local sagemath environment from scratch?

Eric Gourgoulhon

Aug 23, 2021, 9:00:49 AMAug 23
to sage-support
Le dimanche 22 août 2021 à 15:49:28 UTC+2, asd00012...@gmail.com a écrit :

I installed Sagemath for the entire system using ``sudo apt-get install sagemath'' on my Ubuntu machine. When I tried to do something like ``sage -i kohel_database,'' it told me that it is an unknown option. As searched from the ASKSAGE etc., there's no such options within the apt installed version. So is there alternatives to install packages for this kind of sagemath environment? Or we need to start over and build a fresh local sagemath environment from scratch?

Unfortunately, the last option is the only way out here. So please download one of the binary builds available at https://www.sagemath.org/download-linux.html. The bonus is that you'll get a version of SageMath newer than the system one.

slelievre

Aug 23, 2021, 11:50:26 AMAug 23
to sage-support

Le lundi 23 août 2021 à 15:00:49 UTC+2, egourg...:
Le dimanche 22 août 2021 à 15:49:28 UTC+2, asd00012...:

I installed Sagemath for the entire system using ``sudo apt-get install sagemath'' on my Ubuntu machine. When I tried to do something like ``sage -i kohel_database,'' it told me that it is an unknown option. As searched from the ASKSAGE etc., there's no such options within the apt installed version. So is there alternatives to install packages for this kind of sagemath environment? Or we need to start over and build a fresh local sagemath environment from scratch?

Unfortunately, the last option is the only way out here. So please download one of the binary builds available at https://www.sagemath.org/download-linux.html. The bonus is that you'll get a version of SageMath newer than the system one.

The option you describe is less severe than building from scratch,
it only amounts to downloading a binary release for Ubuntu 20.04.

So really there are at least two options available here:

- download a binary for Ubuntu 20.04 (as suggested above)

- build from source

Building from source takes some time, but is much faster
than it once was, at least if you install all recommended
prerequisite packages from your system distribution.