Sage 9.2 configure fails when forced to use system atlas

A A

Apr 8, 2021, 3:21:15 AM4/8/21
to sage-support

Sage 9.2 configuration fails when passed `--with-system-atlas=forced`.
Thefollowing snippets demonstrates the setup:

    $ export SAGE_ATLAS_LIB='/usr/local/atlas/lib/'
    $ ./configure --with-blas=atlas --enable-atlas=yes --with-system-atlas=force --prefix=$HOME/sage --with-python='/usr/local/bin/python3.9'

The error message is as follows:
    Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG atlas...
    configure: error: given --with-system-atlas=force but no system package could be used

From the documentation
(https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/source.html#environment-variables),
Setting SAGE_ATLAS_LIB should enable ./configure find the requisite libraries.

Any advice on navigating this?

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 8, 2021, 3:54:49 AM4/8/21
to sage-support
This looks like a bug. However, we are planning to stop supporting atlas:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/30350

if you absolutely must use system's atlas, one can perhaps try to work
around it by
creating openblas.pc file pointing at the atlas' libblas