Do I need to uninstall before updgrading to version 6?

drewj

Feb 14, 2015, 10:38:21 AM2/14/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I tried sage -upgrade. I am currently on 5.8. I got a message

Error: it is impossible to upgrade your version of Sage to version 6.0
or later.  It is recommended to install the latest version of Sage from
scratch.

I think I can figure out how to install sage from scratch from documentation online, but I can't find anything about whether I need to do anything to remove/uninstall the old version. I don't want two versions on my computer. Will the new version automatically replace the old, or do I need to do something?

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 14, 2015, 11:12:06 AM2/14/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
No, a new version will be normally speaking installed in another
directory, and you should not overwrite the old directory with files
from new Sage.
You can just remove the old directory.

If you modified your environment variables to point to a version of
Sage, or installed Sage scripts in (say) in /usr/local/bin
you might want to update these.

HTH,
Dmitrii

Vincent Delecroix

Feb 14, 2015, 12:07:14 PM2/14/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
From 5.X to 6.X Sage has dramatically changed and you can not upgrade
between these two versions with the builtin scripts. You need to
download a new tarball.

Vincent