Howto update a single sagemath module?

Charles Bradshaw

Jan 23, 2023, 9:03:00 AM1/23/23
to sage-support
I am running jupyter installed from the fedora repo install of 'sagemath'. The version of ipywidgets received is 7.7.0

My local experiments in comparison with the online version here:
https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/jupyter-widgets/ipywidgets/8.0.2?urlpath=lab/tree/docs/source/examples/Widget%20Layout.ipynb

Clearly demonstrate the early version deficiencies in my version.

What is the recommended method to update to the latest version?

A 'ipywidgets' search of PyPy produces nearly 250 separate items!
Given the huge number of modules in sagemath, is it safe to use pip on a single module?

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 23, 2023, 10:42:46 AM1/23/23
to sage-support
 we have instructions in the Installation manual on how to use a system-wide installation of Jupiter with SageMath. Did you check these?

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 23, 2023, 10:44:57 AM1/23/23
to sage-support

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023, 15:42 Dima Pasechnik, <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
 we have instructions in the Installation manual on how to use a system-wide installation of Jupiter with SageMath.

(instead of "system wide" they should be applicable to other non-Sage instances of Jupyter,  with minimal changes)