Unable to import Normaliz

Hriday Bharat Thakkar

Jun 6, 2021, 4:49:38 AM6/6/21
to sage-support
I would like to use the Normaliz library to compute Ehrhart polynomials, etc. I have successfully installed Normaliz from their github and Python's IDLE environment detects it but SageMath doesn't seem to be able to detect this installation.

Can you please advice how I can get SageMath to use Normaliz? So far, I've tried installing Normaliz using two ways:
1. sage -i normaliz (error: make: *** No rule to make target `all-toolchain'.  Stop.)
2. conda install normaliz libnormaliz from https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/spkg/normaliz.html
(error for 2. is attached as a screenshot)

Thanks much!

Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 1.53.12 PM.png

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 6, 2021, 5:14:46 AM6/6/21
to sage-support

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021, 09:49 Hriday Bharat Thakkar, <global...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to use the Normaliz library to compute Ehrhart polynomials, etc. I have successfully installed Normaliz from their github and Python's IDLE environment detects it but SageMath doesn't seem to be able to detect this installation.

Can you please advice how I can get SageMath to use Normaliz? So far, I've tried installing Normaliz using two ways:
1. sage -i normaliz (error: make: *** No rule to make target `all-toolchain'.  Stop.)

this might need Sage built from source.

2. conda install normaliz libnormaliz from https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/spkg/normaliz.html
(error for 2. is attached as a screenshot)

this needs conda channel with Sage (conda-forge). See

Thanks much!

Hriday Bharat Thakkar

Jun 6, 2021, 7:54:38 AM6/6/21
to sage-support
I followed the instructions in https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/conda.html#sec-installation-conda
but I'm still unable to install normaliz using 'sage -i normaliz'. Here is the screenshot. Can you please let me know if I've done something incorrectly or if there is some other way to install normaliz/pynormaliz. Thanks!
Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 5.07.28 PM.png

Hriday Bharat Thakkar

Jun 6, 2021, 8:10:26 AM6/6/21
to sage-support
This is an update. I followed the steps for installation of normaliz via conda. I did the following and was able to install normaliz but when I import normaliz there's an error "Normaliz not found."  It asks me restart my kernel in order to use the updated packages. Can you please advice how I can restart my kernel or what I need to do differently? It seems like conda install normaliz worked.

Attached is the steps I did:

Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 5.28.02 PM.png

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 6, 2021, 9:52:22 AM6/6/21
to sage-support
I thought that normaliz is available as a conda package

Dima Pasechnik

Jun 6, 2021, 9:56:44 AM6/6/21
to sage-support
you should do these installations at conda prompt,
not at Sage's prompt.

Isuru Fernando

Jun 7, 2021, 1:50:06 AM6/7/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
You need to install `pynormaliz` by doing `conda install pynormaliz`.

Isuru

Hriday Bharat Thakkar

Jun 7, 2021, 3:46:21 AM6/7/21
to sage-support
I get the following error while doing 'conda install pynormaliz' . The error is attached as a screenshot.
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 11.32.55 AM.png

Hriday Bharat Thakkar

Jun 8, 2021, 12:29:00 PM6/8/21
to sage-support
I was able to install PyNormaliz. I followed these instructions: https://groups.google.com/g/sage-supp...