Update Sage-4.8 VirtualBox server to 5.0

TSchwenn

May 16, 2012, 4:30:13 PM5/16/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
How should I update my Sage VirtualBox (sage-4.8.ova) server to 5.0? I don't want to start from scratch with a new install (i.e. with sage-5.0.ova). There is no mention of updating at http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance

Keshav Kini

May 17, 2012, 12:07:20 AM5/17/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Theoretically you should be able to run `sage --upgrade` in a terminal on the virtual machine. Can you try that?

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !

TSchwenn

May 22, 2012, 3:16:00 PM5/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
That worked, after several hours of compiling.  The notebook server reports version 5.0 and runs worksheets fine, but the help/documentation links are all broken ("Document does not exist.")  How can I restore the documentation?

Keshav Kini

May 22, 2012, 3:18:39 PM5/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
TSchwenn <tsch...@gmail.com> writes:
> That worked, after several hours of compiling. The notebook server reports
> version 5.0 and runs worksheets fine, but the help/documentation links are all
> broken ("Document does not exist.") How can I restore the documentation?

Go to the root directory of the Sage installation and type `./sage
--docbuild all html`. This will unfortunately take some time, because
the documentation builder is pure Python and doesn't do any
parallelization.

TSchwenn

May 22, 2012, 5:54:38 PM5/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
About an hour later: "build succeeded, 2 warnings."  The documentation is all there now.  Thank you!

Keshav Kini

May 22, 2012, 6:15:00 PM5/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
TSchwenn <tsch...@gmail.com> writes:
> About an hour later: "build succeeded, 2 warnings." The documentation is all
> there now. Thank you!

Sure. Actually I wonder why `sage --upgrade` doesn't automatically
rebuild the documentation...