Computation has been running for a very long time...

saad khalid

Sep 12, 2016, 10:19:50 AM9/12/16
to sage-support
Hello everyone:

I ran a computation on SMC that i figured would take some time. I'm generating 8000 groups, I believe, which is a slow process. Generating one group can take a few seconds, so I would expect generating 8000 groups to take 10-ish hours. However, this computation has been running for over 70 hours now, I believe. I keep the page from stopping by running some simple arithmetic on the side, so that the page stays active. It still says it is running but I can't tell if it actually is. The RAM usage on the page used to be going up but now it has stopped at 1198mb. Is there any way for me to know if the computation is still active, or how far it has gotten, without interrupting it?

Here is the code I ran:

reset()
macaulay2
.eval("""
K = toField(QQ[zet]/(zet^8 - zet^6 + zet^4 - zet^2 + 1))
needsPackage "
InvariantRing"
A = []
B = []
C = []
for a1 from 1 to 20 do (for a2 from 1 to 20 do (for a3 from 1 to 20 do A = A|[matrix{{zet^(a1),0,0},{0,zet^(a2),0},{0,0,zet^(a3)}}] ) )
for i from 0 to (#A-1) do B = B|[generateGroup({A#i},K)]
for j from 0 to (#A-1) do C = C|[toString molienSeries B#j]
"""
)

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 12, 2016, 10:37:03 AM9/12/16
to sage-support
it's essentially a question about Macaulay2 computation.
perhaps it should go to the appropriate forum.

leif

Sep 12, 2016, 10:38:48 AM9/12/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
saad khalid wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I ran a computation on SMC that i figured would take some time. I'm
> generating 8000 groups, I believe, which is a slow process. Generating
> one group can take a few seconds, so I would expect generating 8000
> groups to take 10-ish hours. However, this computation has been running
> for over 70 hours now, I believe. I keep the page from stopping by
> running some simple arithmetic on the side, so that the page stays
> active. It still says it is running but I can't tell if it actually is.
> The RAM usage on the page used to be going up but now it has stopped at
> 1198mb. Is there any way for me to know if the computation is still
> active, or how far it has gotten, without interrupting it?

Get the PID and look at the process (e.g. "ps x | grep -w NNNNN" in a
shell, where NNNNN is the PID).

I guess

sage: macaulay2.pid()

gives you the PID.

There are certainly smarter ways on SMC.

-leif

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 12, 2016, 10:50:46 AM9/12/16
to sage-support

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 2:38:48 PM UTC, leif wrote:
saad khalid wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>
> I ran a computation on SMC that i figured would take some time. I'm
> generating 8000 groups, I believe, which is a slow process. Generating
> one group can take a few seconds, so I would expect generating 8000
> groups to take 10-ish hours. However, this computation has been running
> for over 70 hours now, I believe. I keep the page from stopping by
> running some simple arithmetic on the side, so that the page stays
> active. It still says it is running but I can't tell if it actually is.
> The RAM usage on the page used to be going up but now it has stopped at
> 1198mb. Is there any way for me to know if the computation is still
> active, or how far it has gotten, without interrupting it?

Get the PID and look at the process (e.g. "ps x | grep -w NNNNN" in a
shell, where NNNNN is the PID).

I guess

sage: macaulay2.pid()

gives you the PID.

There are certainly smarter ways on SMC.

the smartest would be to run this directly in Macaulay2 (in SMC terminal).
Otherwise you never know whether it's process communication that has failed for you here,
or not.

saad khalid

Sep 12, 2016, 11:41:53 AM9/12/16
to sage-support
The reason i didn't run it in a terminal is because the terminal would stop working after 25 hours(I have 25 hours of inactive time) and, while I know how to keep a sage worksheet active, I don't know how to keep a terminal active without interrupting the calculation. I will try running it in the SMC terminal, however.

William Stein

Sep 12, 2016, 1:22:47 PM9/12/16
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, September 12, 2016, saad khalid <saad...@gmail.com> wrote:
The reason i didn't run it in a terminal is because the terminal would stop working after 25 hours(I have 25 hours of inactive time) and, while I know how to keep a sage worksheet active, I don't know how to keep a terminal active without interrupting the calculation. I will try running it in the SMC terminal, however.

Sent from my massive iPhone 6 plus.

saad khalid

Sep 12, 2016, 10:35:50 PM9/12/16
to sage-support
I tried checking the process, here was the output:

~/Saad Khalid$ ps x | grep -w 12616
12616 pts/22   Ssl+   0:00 /usr/bin/M2-binary --no-debug --no-readline --silent -e ZZ#{Standard,Core#"private dictionary"#"InputPrompt"} = lineno -> "_EGAS_ :
";ZZ#{Standard,Core#"private dictionary"#"InputContinuationPrompt"} = lineno -> "_EGAS_ : ";printWidth = 0;lineNumber = 10^9;
13296 pts/24   S+     0:00 grep --color=auto -w

Not really sure what it means.

I also posted the question in the sage-cloud board