Re: parametric_plot and xmin/xmax

P Purkayastha

Jan 21, 2013, 3:59:48 AM1/21/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 01/21/2013 08:01 AM, Robert Jacobson wrote:
> Setting xmin/xmax for parametric_plot doesn't seem to do anything, but
> ymin/ymax work as expected. What am I doing wrong?
>
> t = var('t')
> parametric_plot( (cos(t), sin(t)), (t, 0, 2*pi), xmin=-2, xmax=2,
> ymin=-2, ymax=2)

Look at this ticket: http://trac.sagemath.org/13368

Give xmin, xmax as an argument to show instead:
parametric_plot(...).show(xmin=-2, xmax=2)

LFS

Jan 30, 2013, 4:02:14 AM1/30/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if you are desperate (then this is a decent idea) or trying to teach others (not so good an idea)
When desperate, I add invisible points and use show(). (Unfortunately invisible points depend on your plot type since alpha=0 is for 2d and opacity=0 is for 3d...HINT to developers to change this...)

t = var('t')
PP=parametric_plot( (cos(t), sin(t)), (t, 0, 2*pi))
Bx=point([(-2, -2),(2,2)], alpha=0)
show(PP+Bx)

for 3d example see: http://sagemath.wikispaces.com/point3d   example 3

P Purkayastha

Jan 30, 2013, 4:34:04 AM1/30/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 01/30/2013 05:02 PM, LFS wrote:
> I don't know if you are desperate (then this is a decent idea) or trying
> to teach others (not so good an idea)
> When desperate, I add invisible points and use show(). (Unfortunately
> invisible points depend on your plot type since alpha=0 is for 2d and
> opacity=0 is for 3d...HINT to developers to change this...)

Thanks. This has been added to http://trac.sagemath.org/13828

LFS

Jan 30, 2013, 4:52:19 AM1/30/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. If asked, I vote for "opacity". It is memorable. :)