Apple M1 Chip

Thomas Judson

Dec 16, 2020, 10:19:31 AM12/16/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I have a new MacBook Air with an Apple M1 chip. Does the Intel version of Sage 9.2 work on this machine?

Tom

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 16, 2020, 10:46:47 AM12/16/20
to sage-support
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Thomas Judson <twju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new MacBook Air with an Apple M1 chip. Does the Intel version of Sage 9.2 work on this machine?

9.2 is not known to work on macOS 11 (the one you have on M1), as far as I know.
You might try building the latest beta in Homebrew installed into the
Intel emulator.
We are very curious to know how far one can go this way.

> Tom

kcrisman

Dec 16, 2020, 2:34:10 PM12/16/20
to sage-support
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 10:46:47 AM UTC-5 dim...@gmail.com wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Thomas Judson <twju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new MacBook Air with an Apple M1 chip. Does the Intel version of Sage 9.2 work on this machine?

9.2 is not known to work on macOS 11 (the one you have on M1), as far as I know.
You might try building the latest beta in Homebrew installed into the
Intel emulator.
We are very curious to know how far one can go this way.

Tom, anything you can do along these lines will be fantastic - I am slated to get one of those soon too, and we'll need lots of guinea pigs to help.

Tom Judson

Dec 17, 2020, 1:36:05 PM12/17/20
to sage-support
Homebrew is a quick and easy install under Rosetta (the Intel emulator).  Python 3.8 is there, and I finally got Jupyter Notebook installed.  However, when JN opens I have a problem.  I gave up last night but may try to work on it later today. - Tom

Isuru Fernando

Dec 18, 2020, 1:28:00 PM12/18/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
miniforge, a conda installer by conda-forge works fine on Apple silicon chips with native binaries. You can install python 3.8 and 3.9.
packages like python, numpy, scipy, notebook, scikit-image are known to work.

See https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge

Isuru

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 19, 2020, 8:27:19 AM12/19/20
to sage-support

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020, 18:27 Isuru Fernando, <isu...@gmail.com> wrote:
miniforge, a conda installer by conda-forge works fine on Apple silicon chips with native binaries. You can install python 3.8 and 3.9.
packages like python, numpy, scipy, notebook, scikit-image are known to work.

See https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge

have you managed to build more sage dependencies natively on M1?

Isuru

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 12:34:10 PM UTC-7 kcrisman wrote:
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 10:46:47 AM UTC-5 dim...@gmail.com wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Thomas Judson <twju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new MacBook Air with an Apple M1 chip. Does the Intel version of Sage 9.2 work on this machine?

9.2 is not known to work on macOS 11 (the one you have on M1), as far as I know.
You might try building the latest beta in Homebrew installed into the
Intel emulator.
We are very curious to know how far one can go this way.

Tom, anything you can do along these lines will be fantastic - I am slated to get one of those soon too, and we'll need lots of guinea pigs to help.

Isuru Fernando

Dec 19, 2020, 12:26:58 PM12/19/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com