Sagemath crashes from the start

34 views
Skip to first unread message

Seunghun Lee

unread,
Jul 29, 2021, 11:50:15 PMJul 29
to sage-support
Hello.
Today, I had several repeated errors when I used Sagemath,
and I want to hear how I can fix the problem.
The description is below.
I also attached the crash report.

OS: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (64bit)
SageMath version: 9.0 (Release Date: 2020-01-01)
Using Python 3.8.10.
Installation Method: It is installed by downloading and running source code.
The sagemath program is (seemingly) in the folder "~/sage-9.2/".

Description about the crash:
The crash suddenly occurs when I run (started) sagemath today,
and it happens whenever I run it without exceptions.
Sagemath was very stable before, and this kind of crash happens for the first time.

My effort to fix the issue, which was not successful:
1. I suspected that it is something with python3, 
I tried to rebuild sage's python using the following commands:
sage -f python3
make

2. I wanted to reinstall sagemath.
Without removing the program in the folder ~/sage-9.2/ (I don't know how to do it), I installed another version of sagemath using the package manager, by typing
sudo apt install sagemath

None of the methods above worked for me.

Thank you in advance.
Sage_crash_report.txt

Dima Pasechnik

unread,
Jul 30, 2021, 3:39:30 AMJul 30
to sage-support
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 4:50 AM Seunghun Lee <proso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
> Today, I had several repeated errors when I used Sagemath,
> and I want to hear how I can fix the problem.
> The description is below.
> I also attached the crash report.
>
> OS: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (64bit)
> SageMath version: 9.0 (Release Date: 2020-01-01)
> Using Python 3.8.10.
> Installation Method: It is installed by downloading and running source code.

if you like to use Ubuntu's Sagemath package, you have to do

sudo apt install sagemath

If you rather want to install Sagemath from source, please follow the
instructions on

https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/source.html#linux-recommended-installation

(and use Sage 9.3 source tarball, not older; make sure you use the
source tarball, not a binary tarball, i.e.
one called sage-9.3.tar.gz, e.g. from
https://mirror-hk.koddos.net/sagemath/src/index.html)


> The sagemath program is (seemingly) in the folder "~/sage-9.2/".
>
> Description about the crash:
> The crash suddenly occurs when I run (started) sagemath today,
> and it happens whenever I run it without exceptions.
> Sagemath was very stable before, and this kind of crash happens for the first time.
>
> My effort to fix the issue, which was not successful:
> 1. I suspected that it is something with python3,
> I tried to rebuild sage's python using the following commands:
> sage -f python3
> make
>
> 2. I wanted to reinstall sagemath.
> Without removing the program in the folder ~/sage-9.2/ (I don't know how to do it), I installed another version of sagemath using the package manager, by typing
> sudo apt install sagemath
>
> None of the methods above worked for me.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "sage-support" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-support...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/5e73dcc1-339f-4807-8aae-2d868e85d2a4n%40googlegroups.com.

Seunghun Lee

unread,
Jul 30, 2021, 12:24:42 PMJul 30
to sage-support
Hello. Thank you for your answer.
1. As I wrote, I tried to install sagemath via
sudo apt install sagemath
But it does not work.
2. There was a type above that actually I was working with sagemath 9.2.
I tried installing sage 9.3 with the sourcecode,
and it failed and gave me the following message.
Anyway, it does not seem to work.
---
Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
during this run of 'make all-start'):

* package:         linbox-1.6.3.p1
  last build time: 7월 30 10:40 (Note: 7월 means July)
  log file:        /home/cherry/sage-9.3/logs/pkgs/linbox-1.6.3.p1.log
  build directory: /home/cherry/sage-9.3/local/var/tmp/sage/build/linbox-1.6.3.p1

It is safe to delete any log files and build directories, but they
contain information that is helpful for debugging build problems.
WARNING: If you now run 'make' again, the build directory of the
same version of the package will, by default, be deleted. Set the
environment variable SAGE_KEEP_BUILT_SPKGS=yes to prevent this.


2021년 7월 30일 금요일 오전 3시 39분 30초 UTC-4에 dim...@gmail.com님이 작성:

Dima Pasechnik

unread,
Jul 30, 2021, 4:27:45 PMJul 30
to sage-support
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM Seunghun Lee <proso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello. Thank you for your answer.
> 1. As I wrote, I tried to install sagemath via
> sudo apt install sagemath
> But it does not work.
> 2. There was a type above that actually I was working with sagemath 9.2.
> I tried installing sage 9.3 with the sourcecode,
> and it failed and gave me the following message.
> Anyway, it does not seem to work.
> ---
> Error building Sage.
>
> The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
> during this run of 'make all-start'):
>
> * package: linbox-1.6.3.p1
> last build time: 7월 30 10:40 (Note: 7월 means July)
> log file: /home/cherry/sage-9.3/logs/pkgs/linbox-1.6.3.p1.log
> build directory: /home/cherry/sage-9.3/local/var/tmp/sage/build/linbox-1.6.3.p1

If you like help, please post
/home/cherry/sage-9.3/logs/pkgs/linbox-1.6.3.p1.log
and
/home/cherry/sage-9.3/config.log
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/0f59e2a3-7327-4fdc-9507-3a55caf0d671n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages