Launch the sage notebook specifying notebook location

slelievre

Dec 3, 2014, 5:52:31 AM12/3/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
In this question on ask-sage

http://ask.sagemath.org/question/25092/sage-641-modification-notebook-order-in-shell-mode/

a user says calling

    sage -notebook "/path/to/mysagenotebook.sagenb"

no longer works in Sage 6.4.1, while it worked in Sage 6.3.

Is this linked to the recent incorporation of the ipython notebook
and related changes in syntax for launching the notebook with
certain options?

slelievre

Volker Braun

Dec 3, 2014, 6:31:38 AM12/3/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
First of all, the error message makes it clear that you need to specify the notebook now:

$ ./sage -notebook ~/.sage/sage_notebook.sagenb
CRITICAL:root:unknown notebook: /home/vbraun/.sage/sage_notebook.sagenb
Error, notebook must be one of default, ipython, sagenb but got /home/vbraun/.sage/sage_notebook.sagenb

However, there is a bug with sagenb positional arguments. With  #17439 (needs review) the following works:

sage --notebook=sagenb "/path/to/mysagenotebook.sagenb"

kcrisman

Dec 3, 2014, 9:03:29 AM12/3/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
a user says calling

    sage -notebook "/path/to/mysagenotebook.sagenb"

no longer works in Sage 6.4.1, while it worked in Sage 6.3.

Is this linked to the recent incorporation of the ipython notebook
and related changes in syntax for launching the notebook with
certain options?

As Volker points out, this is no longer supported.  You can read a very long discussion on Trac about trying our darndest to keep the original syntax, but in the end the choice was being able to launch the Ipython notebook with sage -notebook and an option, or keeping this syntax.  Probably there would have been a hackish way to keep both, but that suggestion was nixed, if I recall correctly.   I'm sorry, this is a case where not having proper release notes with a list of such incompatible changes hurts. :-(