large upload fails

tmbdev

Dec 3, 2009, 7:51:19 PM12/3/09
to sage-support
I backed up my worksheets in a download_worksheets.zip file. The file
is 63M large. Now I'm trying to upload it and the upload is failing.
Is there any way of getting the zip file uploaded or installed (maybe
I can just unzip it somewhere)?

Tom

Robert Bradshaw

Dec 3, 2009, 9:11:51 PM12/3/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
You can unzip it like any other zip file. You can then upload them one
by one, or zip a smaller number of them together and upload in several
passes.

- Robert

William Stein

Dec 3, 2009, 9:56:06 PM12/3/09
to sage-support
2009/12/3 Robert Bradshaw <robe...@math.washington.edu>:
> On Dec 3, 2009, at 4:51 PM, tmbdev wrote:
>
>> I backed up my worksheets in a download_worksheets.zip file.  The file
>> is 63M large.  Now I'm trying to upload it and the upload is failing.
>> Is there any way of getting the zip file uploaded or installed (maybe
>> I can just unzip it somewhere)?

What server are you uploading them into? sagenb.org? Your desktop?

tmb

Dec 4, 2009, 6:48:59 AM12/4/09
to sage-support
My desktop machine, an 8G 4-core machine. I've tried multiple
browsers. This is not a problem with the browser; browsers are
capable of very large and very slow uploads.

Probably some timeout parameter in the Sage server is set too small.
There is no output related to the upload on the Sage console.

Tom

On Dec 4, 3:56 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

v_2e

Jul 22, 2012, 2:03:04 AM7/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
  Hello!
  I'm sorry to bring up this old topic, but years are passing by and the problem is still there.
  It has been discussed at lease
and still there is no clean solution to transfer the large worksheet files from one server to another. I described a way to do this when one owns the server in the abovementioned AskSage topic, but it is impossible to use for uploading the large files to somebody else's remote Sage-server.
  Here is, for example, a comment in that topic (which was left unanswered because of the lack of comment notifications sent by AskSage at that time):

"But Jason, is there a way to get this to always work? It sounds like v_2e is suggesting this doesn't actually always happen.

kcrisman (Dec 06 '11)"

  I tried to upload one of my worksheets (about 11 MB in size) to several Sage servers today:
- my local server on localhost:8000 (running Sage 5.1);
- my friend's remote Sage 4.7 server;
- to the sagenb.kaist.ac.kr server (Sage 5.0);
- to sagenb.org server (Sage 5.0).
The only successful upload was performed with sagenb.org. All other servers including my local one have never finished this upload.

So, summarizing all said above, one can clearly see that the problem is widespread, but sagenb.org's example shows that is can be solved somehow. The question is: How to solve it?

  Thank you.
    Vladimir

Volker Braun

Jul 22, 2012, 3:45:57 PM7/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thread necromancy!

Its likely that the problem is a limit set in the web server used (e.g. nginx client_max_body_size defaults to 1m) or a caching proxy server that some ISP helpfully deployed and is less transparent than one might think.

If you want to get to the bottom of it, check the logs and/or sniff the http traffic and see what happens. Does the upload end in a HTTP error code 413 ("Request Entity Too Large")?

v_...@ukr.net

Jul 23, 2012, 5:43:46 AM7/23/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thread necromancy!
>
> Its likely that the problem is a limit set in the web server used
> (e.g. nginx client_max_body_size defaults to 1m) or a caching proxy
> server that some ISP helpfully deployed and is less transparent than
> one might think.

I'm not sure about ISP's of the sagenb.kaist.ac.kr and my friend's
server. Maybe they apply some limitations. The only thing I know for
sure about my friend's server is that it does not work through any
separate web-server (e.g. Apache, lighttpd, nginx etc.). It is Sage's
web-server that listens directly the 8000 port.
As for my local Sage-server on my laptop, obviously, there is now ISP
or another web-server between it and my web-browser. But the problem is
there anyway.

> If you want to get to the bottom of it, check the logs and/or sniff
> the http traffic and see what happens. Does the upload end in a HTTP
> error code 413 ("Request Entity Too Large")?

I'd try that. Could you please give me a hint how to do that?
Thank you!

> On Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:03:04 AM UTC-4, v_2e wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry to bring up this old topic, but years are passing by
> > and the problem is still there.
> > It has been discussed at lease
> > here -
> > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-support/cnhDqWPHj7M/discussion
> > here -
> > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-support/zWZZUMKNxcU/discussion
> > and here -
> > http://ask.sagemath.org/question/961/large-worksheet-upload-to-notebook
> > and still there is no clean solution to transfer the large
> > worksheet files from one server to another. I described a way to do
> > this when one owns the server in the abovementioned AskSage topic,
> > but it is impossible to use for uploading the large files to
> > somebody else's remote Sage-server. Here is, for example, a comment
> > in that topic (which was left unanswered because of the lack of
> > comment notifications sent by AskSage at that time):
> >

> > "But Jason, is there a way to get this to always work? It sounds
> > like v_2e is suggesting this doesn't actually always happen.
> > kcrisman <http://ask.sagemath.org/users/41/kcrisman/> (Dec 06 '11)"
> >
> > I tried to upload one of my worksheets (about 11 MB in size) to
> > several Sage servers today:
> > - my local server on localhost:8000 (running Sage 5.1);
> > - my friend's remote Sage 4.7 server;
> > - to the sagenb.kaist.ac.kr server (Sage 5.0);
> > - to sagenb.org server (Sage 5.0).
> > The only successful upload was performed with sagenb.org. All other
> > servers including my local one have never finished this upload.
> >
> > So, summarizing all said above, one can clearly see that the
> > problem is widespread, but sagenb.org's example shows that is can
> > be solved somehow. The question is: How to solve it?
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Vladimir

Regards,
Vladimir

-----
<v_...@ukr.net>

Jason Grout

Jul 23, 2012, 5:46:56 AM7/23/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 7/22/12 1:03 AM, v_2e wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm sorry to bring up this old topic, but years are passing by and
> the problem is still there.
> It has been discussed at lease
> here - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-support/cnhDqWPHj7M/discussion
> here - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sage-support/zWZZUMKNxcU/discussion
> and here
> - http://ask.sagemath.org/question/961/large-worksheet-upload-to-notebook
> and still there is no clean solution to transfer the large worksheet
> files from one server to another. I described a way to do this when one
> owns the server in the abovementioned AskSage topic, but it is
> impossible to use for uploading the large files to somebody else's
> remote Sage-server.
> Here is, for example, a comment in that topic (which was left
> unanswered because of the lack of comment notifications sent by AskSage
> at that time):
>

> "But Jason, is there a way to get this to always work? It sounds like
> v_2e is suggesting this doesn't actually always happen.
>
> kcrisman <http://ask.sagemath.org/users/41/kcrisman/> (Dec 06 '11)"
>
> I tried to upload one of my worksheets (about 11 MB in size) to
> several Sage servers today:
> - my local server on localhost:8000 (running Sage 5.1);
> - my friend's remote Sage 4.7 server;
> - to the sagenb.kaist.ac.kr server (Sage 5.0);
> - to sagenb.org server (Sage 5.0).
> The only successful upload was performed with sagenb.org. All other
> servers including my local one have never finished this upload.

One difference between sagenb.org and all of the others is that
sagenb.org is running a much newer Sage notebook (see
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/13121). Installing that and
all the dependencies might solve the problem, if you are up to trying
cutting-edge stuff that might break too.

Jason

v_...@ukr.net

Jul 24, 2012, 5:27:09 AM7/24/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to get to the bottom of it, check the logs and/or sniff
> the http traffic and see what happens. Does the upload end in a HTTP
> error code 413 ("Request Entity Too Large")?

I sniffed the traffic from my browser to my local Sage-server during
such large file upload attempt using WireShark. But I'm not sure how to
interpret the obtained results.
Any advices?

Thank you.
Vladimir

-----
<v_...@ukr.net>

Volker Braun

Jul 24, 2012, 8:02:39 AM7/24/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
For starters: "Follow TCP stream" and then have a look at what is at the end.

v_...@ukr.net

Jul 24, 2012, 10:18:05 AM7/24/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 05:02:39 -0700 (PDT)
Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For starters: "Follow TCP stream" and then have a look at what is at
> the end.

Thank you for the tip. I looked through the TCP stream and saw
nothing special at the end -- the data is just truncated at some point
with no apparent response from server (as far as I understand).
Here is a link to the dumped TCP stream (~610 kB in size):
http://ftp.wombat.org.ua/sage-large-file-upload-failure-tcp_stream.txt
Maybe it may help somehow.

Regards,
Vladimir

> On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:27:09 AM UTC-4, v_2e wrote:
> >
> > I sniffed the traffic from my browser to my local Sage-server
> > during such large file upload attempt using WireShark. But I'm not
> > sure how to interpret the obtained results.

-----
<v_...@ukr.net>

v_...@ukr.net

Aug 5, 2012, 10:15:32 AM8/5/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
I just wanted to report that after upgrade to Sage 5.2 with Sage
Notebook v.0.9.1 on my Gentoo GNU/Linux system, the problem in question
seems to not be present any more. I uploaded a zip-archive with many
worksheets of about 160 MB in size and everything went fine! :)
It seems, really a lot of work had been done about Notebook!

Thanks!
Vladimir
-----
<v_...@ukr.net>