Is there a way to disable "fastest mirror search"

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 16, 2015, 8:52:55 AM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

The new all-shiny all-singing all-dancing fastest mirror selection is probably useful for large tasks (maybe not so much for small spkgs). I note however that it is launced once fopr each package/tarball/item that has to be downloaded, not once per job.

Furthermore, behind some firewalls (most notably those that block ICMP), this feature is a royal pain in the ass^Hymptote : mirror selection failure, hence task failure, hence job failure. Hosed upgrade.

I foud no way to disable this err...feature  Defining SAGE_SERVER is ignored.

Am I missearching the doc ? Any other idea ?

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Volker Braun

Jun 16, 2015, 9:12:31 AM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
The timings are cached (assuming that they find a mirror).

The timing is based on an actual connection on port 80, no ICMP involved I think. If your firewall blocks it then it will also block downloads.

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 16, 2015, 9:37:30 AM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Our firewall attempts to filter downloads (for virus scanning purpose, or se we are told) more or less transparently : when I use wget, I see a waitong period with on byte per second, then a fast (Ethernet speed)) download of the target file.

IIRC, you evoked the possibility of ICMP-induced trouble during a previous episode of firewall-related trouble. What did you have in mind ?

Anyway : any idea to disable this mirror selection ?

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Volker Braun

Jun 16, 2015, 1:03:27 PM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 3:37:30 PM UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
IIRC, you evoked the possibility of ICMP-induced trouble during a previous episode of firewall-related trouble. What did you have in mind ?

I had just forgotten what I did; the fastest mirror code does not use ICMP.

Can you post the actual output?

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 16, 2015, 3:34:44 PM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I'll have a look tomorrow (back at home...).

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 16, 2015, 3:43:21 PM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Le mardi 16 juin 2015 19:03:27 UTC+2, Volker Braun a écrit :
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 3:37:30 PM UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
IIRC, you evoked the possibility of ICMP-induced trouble during a previous episode of firewall-related trouble. What did you have in mind ?

I had just forgotten what I did;

In this thread,  tenth post from the top (sorry : I use Google groups, which doe not give very precise references...)
the fastest mirror code does not use ICMP.

HTH,
--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Volker Braun

Jun 16, 2015, 5:47:10 PM6/16/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 9:43:21 PM UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
In this thread,  tenth post from the top (sorry : I use Google groups, which doe not give very precise references...)
the fastest mirror code does not use ICMP.

Yes and that is wrong. I had forgotten what I wrote because it was many months ago (=review duration).

Post your logs

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 17, 2015, 4:11:58 AM6/17/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Okay. I went to my $SAGE_ROOT. Compressed my install.log (about 20 Mb native...).

I tried to illustrate my point by attempting to install gap_packages. First trial : ./sage-i gap_packages. Results in gap_packages-T1.log.

Second trial : SAGE_SERVER=http://www-ftp.lip6.fr/pub/math/sagemath/ ./sage -i gap_packages. Result in gap_packages-T2.log (identical as far as I can tell).

The only way I found to install a package was to download manually the right tarball in $SAGE_ROOT/upstream and to install it via ./sage -i <name of the package without version>

HTH,
--
Emmanuel Charpentier
gap_packages-T1.log

Volker Braun

Jun 17, 2015, 6:41:17 AM6/17/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
delete SAGE_ROOT/upstream/mirror_list and try again

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 17, 2015, 8:12:27 AM6/17/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Le mercredi 17 juin 2015 12:41:17 UTC+2, Volker Braun a écrit :
delete SAGE_ROOT/upstream/mirror_list and try again

Nothing even remotely like that in my installation :

charpent@SAP5057241:/usr/local/sage-6.7$ find . -iname "*mirror*list*"
charpent@SAP5057241
:/usr/local/sage-6.7$

Volker Braun

Jun 17, 2015, 6:43:03 PM6/17/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Should be fixed in http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18723, can you give it a try?

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jun 18, 2015, 4:42:06 AM6/18/15
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Mixed results : OK for installing a package (sage -i ...), not for enquiring (sage -optional). See ticket for details.