Sage 9.5 fails to start just after an installation

Michal Kopčok

Nov 24, 2022, 8:33:20 AM11/24/22
to sage-support
I have operating system Linux Lite 6.2 that is based on Ubuntu. I installed Sage from windows package manager Synaptic that is available through Xfce menu. When I write into terminal prompt the command sage, Sage starts with info
SageMath version 9.5, Release Date: 2022-01-30                     │
│ Using Python 3.10.6. Type "help()" for help.

But suddenly follows some Python warnings, like
/usr/bin/python3(+0x23d9fd)[0x55b08278a9fd]
/usr/bin/python3(+0x15cdc9)[0x55b0826a9dc9]
/usr/bin/python3(_PyEval_EvalFrameDefault+0x289f)[0x55b08269484f]
/usr/bin/python3(_PyFunction_Vectorcall+0x7c)[0x55b0826a9b6c]

Plenty of similar staff and Sage start crashes with text:
#248 0x00007fda0c267dc0 in __libc_start_main_impl () at ./csu/../csu/libc-start.c:392
#249 0x000055b082777a90 in _start ()

[Inferior 1 (process 3907) detached]
30    ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/wait4.c: Adresár alebo súbor neexistuje.
Saved trace to /home/michal/.sage/crash_logs/crash_ikxir8ce.log
Unhandled SIGILL: An illegal instruction occurred.
This probably occurred because a *compiled* module has a bug
in it and is not properly wrapped with sig_on(), sig_off().
Python will now terminate.

I use Slovak localization. "Adresár alebo súbor neexistuje." could be translated as "No file or folder." or as "File or directory does not exist.".
I do not know where the problem is and what to do to make sage working.

I am sending crash_ikxir8ce.log file as an attachment. And I am adding a print screen of  Synaptic package manager choices for Sage

Many thanks for help.

Best regards
Michal Kopčok (read as Kopchok)
Sage-Synaptic_package_manager_2022-11-24_13-30-42.png
crash_ikxir8ce.log

Eric Gourgoulhon

Nov 29, 2022, 4:14:13 PM11/29/22
to sage-support
Maybe there is something wrong in the SageMath package for your system.
Since your system is based on Ubuntu, I would advise to build SageMath from sources by following these lines:
It's just a few lines to copy and paste in a terminal. The benefit is that it will provide you with the latest version of Sage (9.7).

Best wishes,

Eric.

Henri Girard

Nov 29, 2022, 7:23:52 PM11/29/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Since ubuntu 22.04, there is  bug in jupyter python/sage apparently not disturbing people because i hardly found a work around. When starting sage or jupyter we have this problem, the file is not found. I can't remenber what the expression I put in the icon to work . I found in google.

Sorry

Henri Girard

Nov 29, 2022, 7:26:09 PM11/29/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Here is the problem and the solution if I am not wrong on the diagnostic :

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70753768/jupyter-notebook-access-to-the-file-was-denied

Le 29/11/2022 à 22:14, Eric Gourgoulhon a écrit :

Michal Kopčok

Mar 24, 2023, 1:43:33 PM3/24/23
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Than you for hint. I followed instructions from page https://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/install_ubuntu.html and I built sage from sources and it works. A compilation lasted several hours but at last all works.

Best regards

Michal

ut 29. 11. 2022 o 22:14 Eric Gourgoulhon <egourg...@gmail.com> napísal(a):