3d graphics crash (on Mac)

harald....@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2022, 11:02:51 AM7/13/22
to sage-support
Hi,

I am running Sagemath on a Mac Mini (2018; Intel).

I used to have no problems when asking Sagemath to display 3d objects (polygons), which I could then rotate, animate....

I haven't used my code for doing that sort of thing for a month or two or so. Yesterday, I loaded it again, and, to my surprise, the 3D-graphics capabilities of Sagemath kept crashing. (Firefox freezes for about a minute, and then things go on as normal, except there are no 3D graphics anymore - just a little circled "i" on the lower right corner.)

What may be going on? Upgrading from Sagemath 9.5 to 9.6 hasn't solved the problem.

Best
Harald

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 13, 2022, 1:35:48 PM7/13/22
to sage-support

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022, 16:02 harald....@gmail.com, <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am running Sagemath on a Mac Mini (2018; Intel).

I used to have no problems when asking Sagemath to display 3d objects (polygons), which I could then rotate, animate....

I haven't used my code for doing that sort of thing for a month or two or so. Yesterday, I loaded it again, and, to my surprise, the 3D-graphics capabilities of Sagemath kept crashing. (Firefox freezes for about a minute, and then things go on as normal, except there are no 3D graphics anymore - just a little circled "i" on the lower right corner.)

Does it work with Safari or Chrome?

What may be going on? Upgrading from Sagemath 9.5 to 9.6 hasn't solved the problem.

Best
Harald

Alan Stafford

Jul 13, 2022, 2:32:41 PM7/13/22
to sage-support
How does this look? http::///alan.atstafford.co.uk/Penrose/graphic.html

Alan Stafford

Jul 13, 2022, 2:35:29 PM7/13/22
to sage-support
I am using Safari on MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports).

harald....@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2022, 11:36:39 AM7/14/22
to sage-support
It looks just fine!

harald....@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2022, 5:07:32 PM7/14/22
to sage-support
Le mercredi 13 juillet 2022 à 19:35:48 UTC+2, dim...@gmail.com a écrit :

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022, 16:02 harald....@gmail.com, <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am running Sagemath on a Mac Mini (2018; Intel).

I used to have no problems when asking Sagemath to display 3d objects (polygons), which I could then rotate, animate....

I haven't used my code for doing that sort of thing for a month or two or so. Yesterday, I loaded it again, and, to my surprise, the 3D-graphics capabilities of Sagemath kept crashing. (Firefox freezes for about a minute, and then things go on as normal, except there are no 3D graphics anymore - just a little circled "i" on the lower right corner.)

Does it work with Safari or Chrome?

Chrome. Safari has some sort of problem when trying to load the page.

Best
Harald

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 14, 2022, 6:04:44 PM7/14/22
to sage-support

On Thu, 14 Jul 2022, 22:07 harald....@gmail.com, <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:

Le mercredi 13 juillet 2022 à 19:35:48 UTC+2, dim...@gmail.com a écrit :

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022, 16:02 harald....@gmail.com, <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am running Sagemath on a Mac Mini (2018; Intel).

I used to have no problems when asking Sagemath to display 3d objects (polygons), which I could then rotate, animate....

I haven't used my code for doing that sort of thing for a month or two or so. Yesterday, I loaded it again, and, to my surprise, the 3D-graphics capabilities of Sagemath kept crashing. (Firefox freezes for about a minute, and then things go on as normal, except there are no 3D graphics anymore - just a little circled "i" on the lower right corner.)

Does it work with Safari or Chrome?

Chrome. Safari has some sort of problem when trying to load the page.

OK, if it works with Chrome, there isn't much we can do, after all, it's mostly 3rd party JavaScript which does this sort of graphics.

Anyway, if it stopped working by itself it means that a system (or browser) update happened in the meantime.

Dima

Best
Harald

What may be going on? Upgrading from Sagemath 9.5 to 9.6 hasn't solved the problem.

Best
Harald

harald....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2022, 12:59:20 AM7/15/22
to sage-support
No, I meant that I get this sort of behavior (crash after starting to execute successfully) in Chrome. In Safari, the page doesn't even get started - it freezes after loading.

>Anyway, if it stopped working by itself it means that a system (or browser) update happened in the meantime.

What can I do about that?

Best
Harald

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 15, 2022, 3:17:08 AM7/15/22
to sage-support

On Fri, 15 Jul 2022, 05:59 harald....@gmail.com, <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
No, I meant that I get this sort of behavior (crash after starting to execute successfully) in Chrome. In Safari, the page doesn't even get started - it freezes after loading.

>Anyway, if it stopped working by itself it means that a system (or browser) update happened in the meantime.

What can I do about that?

I don't know how you installed Sage 9.6.

It might be that the macOS/browser updates came after the release date of 9.6, and thus all bets are off - in particular if it was a kind of binary distribution of Sage.

harald....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2022, 4:31:35 AM7/15/22
to sage-support
Le vendredi 15 juillet 2022 à 09:17:08 UTC+2, dim...@gmail.com a écrit :

On Fri, 15 Jul 2022, 05:59 harald....@gmail.com, <harald....@gmail.com> wrote:
No, I meant that I get this sort of behavior (crash after starting to execute successfully) in Chrome. In Safari, the page doesn't even get started - it freezes after loading.

>Anyway, if it stopped working by itself it means that a system (or browser) update happened in the meantime.

What can I do about that?

I don't know how you installed Sage 9.6.

It might be that the macOS/browser updates came after the release date of 9.6, and thus all bets are off - in particular if it was a kind of binary distribution of Sage.

It was a binary distribution, but I installed it because I was having the same problem with sage 9.5 (compiled from scratch a few months ago).

Should I compile sage 9.6 from scratch?

Best
Harald

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 15, 2022, 4:41:53 AM7/15/22
to sage-support
it will work, most probably - although if the macOS/browser updates
appeared after 9.6, there could be a breakage.

> Best
> Harald

Marc Culler

Jul 16, 2022, 3:09:44 PM7/16/22
to sage-support
I tried the following with the binary distribution of Sage 9.6, using  a jupyter notebook open in Firefox, on an Intel macbook air with Monterey:

from sage.plot.plot3d.shapes import *
S = Sphere(.5, color='yellow')
S += Cone(.5, .5, color='red').translate(0,0,.3)
S.show()

It worked fine.

(This is from the Sage 3D graphics documentation, but I left off the eyes and mouth.)

- Marc

Marc Culler

Jul 16, 2022, 3:15:18 PM7/16/22
to sage-support
The sphere and cone worked fine in Safari too, after I changed my default browser.

- Marc

harald....@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2022, 7:27:14 AM7/17/22
to sage-support
That also worked fine for me.

Marc Culler

Jul 17, 2022, 8:56:40 AM7/17/22
to sage-support
If you think this bug is specific to the binary package please feel free to report an issue at our github site:

Of course it would be helpful to have a short self-contained example of the failure ...

- Marc