problem installing sagemath

sahi...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2013, 2:54:17 PM12/25/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

I am trying to compile sagemath from sources without any success. I am currently using Opensuse 13.1 with kernel 3.11.6. I have hp pavilion dm1 with amd e-350 dual core cpu.

The compile process ends before the atlas libraries. I tried both sage 5.13 and 6.0 without any success. I tried to change the cpu governor to "performance" as suggested in the sage faq; additionally I removed the radeon dynamic power management from the kernel parameters to disable power management. Still I can't compile sagemath successfully.

I ended up downloading the sagemath binary for fedora 16. Apparently, the binary for fedora 16 is doing well in opensuse 13.1. Thus, my questions are:

1. Is it safe to use the fedora 16 binary in opensuse 13.1?

2. If not, how can I compile sagemath in opensuse 13.1?

If both questions are negative, I may consider switching to fedora and use sagemath 5.12 from fedora epositories. I guess this way I don't have to worry about any compatibility issues between linux versions or compiling sagemath at all. Any help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
S. Sahin

arshpreet singh

Dec 25, 2013, 10:24:08 PM12/25/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM, <sahi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to compile sagemath from sources without any success. I am currently using Opensuse 13.1 with kernel 3.11.6. I have hp pavilion dm1 with amd e-350 dual core cpu.
>
> The compile process ends before the atlas libraries. I tried both sage 5.13 and 6.0 without any success. I tried to change the cpu governor to "performance" as suggested in the sage faq; additionally I removed the radeon dynamic power management from the kernel parameters to disable power management. Still I can't compile sagemath successfully.

<snip>

> 1. Is it safe to use the fedora 16 binary in opensuse 13.1?
I guess there should be no problem related to security.
<snip>

> If both questions are negative, I may consider switching to fedora and use sagemath 5.12 from fedora >epositories. I guess this way I don't have to worry about any compatibility issues between linux versions or >compiling sagemath at all. Any help is appreciated.

You need to compile if you want to develop/modify source code.

--

Thanks
Arshpreet singh

ਓਹ ਤਰ ਗਏ ਪਾਰ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਜਿਹਨਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੂ ਧਾਰ ਲਇਆ

sahi...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2013, 8:13:59 AM12/26/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I guess there should be no problem related to security.

It is great to know that sage binary for fedora 16 available in the sagemath website is safe to use in opensuse 13.1. But would using the fedora 16 binaries be a problem as opensuse 13.1 (may) have technical differences from fedora 16? E.g., they may have different softwares installed, different file structures etc.

You need to compile if you want to develop/modify source code.

I was able to compile previous sagemath versions from the sources in the past. I have no idea what is wrong with compiling now. It may be the atlas, kernel itself, or something is wrong with opensuse 13.1. Could this be a bug in sagemath as well?

S. Sahin

arshpreet singh

Dec 26, 2013, 8:40:29 AM12/26/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM, <sahi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I guess there should be no problem related to security.
>>
>> E.g., they may have different softwares installed, different file
> structures etc.

Binary is a completely functional program without any installer is
also often called a program binary, or binaries (as opposed to the
source code).

For more information about binary just take a look at following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_file

> I was able to compile previous sagemath versions from the sources in the
> past. I have no idea what is wrong with compiling now. It may be the atlas,
> kernel itself, or something is wrong with opensuse 13.1. Could this be a bug
> in sagemath as well?

I don't think so or I can't say anything unless or until i don't see your logs.

sahi...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2013, 8:53:43 AM12/26/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Binary is a completely functional program without any installer is
also often called a program binary, or binaries (as opposed to the
source code).

If the binaries are functional independent of different linux distributions, why would sagemath release binaries for fedora 16, ubuntu 10, 12, and debian 7 seperately?  Why not to release one binary for linux instead? Also, why it is fedora 16 and not 20? I think this is confusing.

I don't think so or I can't say anything unless or until i don't see your logs.

I tried to compile sage three times from sources. The compile and test process lasts about 1 day in my computer. Unfortunately, I deleted all the log files from my computer and I am not willing to try recompiling again if I don't have to.

For the time being, I am using the fedora 16 binary in my opensuse system with the hope that sagemath will run as intended.

S. Sahin

arshpreet singh

Dec 26, 2013, 10:22:19 AM12/26/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
>On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM, <sahi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the binaries are functional independent of different linux distributions,
> why would sagemath release binaries for fedora 16, ubuntu 10, 12, and debian
> 7 seperately? Why not to release one binary for linux instead? Also, why it
> is fedora 16 and not 20? I think this is confusing.

I am also a user just like you developers can answer better.

<snip>

> I tried to compile sage three times from sources. The compile and test
> process lasts about 1 day in my computer. Unfortunately, I deleted all the
> log files from my computer and I am not willing to try recompiling again if
> I don't have to.

Best of luck. :)