Compute equalizer of maps between polynomial rings?

John H Palmieri

Aug 24, 2022, 7:38:29 PM8/24/22
to sage-support
I have a polynomial ring R = k[x1, x2, ..., xn] and a ring homomorphism f: R -> R. In case it matters, k=GF(2). I would like to find the subring of elements x satisfying f(x) = x: that is, I want to find the equalizer of the pair of maps (f, 1). Is there anything in Sage that will compute this? The more polynomial generators this can handle, the better.

--
John

Dima Pasechnik

Aug 25, 2022, 2:22:31 AM8/25/22
to sage-support

On Thu, 25 Aug 2022, 00:38 John H Palmieri, <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a polynomial ring R = k[x1, x2, ..., xn] and a ring homomorphism f: R -> R. In case it matters, k=GF(2). I would like to find the subring of elements x satisfying f(x) = x: that is, I want to find the equalizer of the pair of maps (f, 1). Is there anything in Sage that will compute this? The more polynomial generators this can handle, the better.

Is this subring finitely generated? Invariant theory in positive characteristic is full of surprises...

--
John

pedrito...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2022, 6:11:12 AM8/25/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear John,
Wouldn’t be of some help to consider the kernel of  f-Id (with Id the identity map)?
Best,
Pedro

John H Palmieri

Aug 25, 2022, 12:08:26 PM8/25/22
to sage-support
Good question, and I don't whether the subring is finitely generated. I want to compute examples — what's the subring in a range of degrees — to see what's going on.

John H Palmieri

Aug 25, 2022, 12:09:50 PM8/25/22
to sage-support
One issue is that f-id is not a ring homomorphism. So do I restrict to a range of degrees, convert to vector spaces, and compute the kernel? I'm not sure of the right approach.

pedrito...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2022, 1:52:29 PM8/26/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Yes, probably working up to some degree. I do no know if this could help.