My Reference Manualdoesnt have a "Quick search" input box.

Emmanuel Charpentier

Aug 10, 2014, 5:07:51 AM8/10/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that in the recent versions of Sage (6.3betaSomething), the reference manual I get after compilation does not have an input box for quick search in the left panel.

I checked that this was not a browser problem : I have no proble accessing the online manual's quick search box.

I also checked that (my) manual *is* interactive (I can modify celle contents and get relevant results). So I probably missed something in the compilation configuration. The question is, of course, "What ?".

Sincerely,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Volker Braun

Aug 10, 2014, 7:38:58 AM8/10/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
The reference manual (http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/index.html) does have the search box even in recent versions for me. It doesn't have interactive cells. What are you looking at exactly?

Emmanuel Charpentier

Aug 10, 2014, 8:47:31 AM8/10/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... Turns out it's not that simple :

From the *NOTEBOOK*, when you click on "help", you get a new browser window displaying  http://localhost:8080/help, which as a "Reference manual" button leading you to http://localhost:8080/doc/live/reference/index.html, which has, in bottom of the left panel the mention "quick search in large character, and the mention "Enter search terms or a module, class or function name." in normal characters, but no input box for searching.

From the *COMMAND LINE*, the manual() function directly opens a new browser window opening file:///usr/local/sage-6.3/src/doc/output/html/en/reference/index.html, which has the same mentions as from notebook AND an input box and a "Go" bytton between title and explanatory text. Calling sage from emacs with sage_mode gives the same behaviour.

So it *seems* that the notebook, which passes its requests to the sage server, gets a Web page somewhat different from the raw file the browser gets from the files of the local documentation.

I hope it's clear, but it's difficult to describe.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

Hal Snyder

Aug 10, 2014, 6:50:48 PM8/10/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Reproduced here with Sage Version 6.3, Release Date: 2014-08-10 on OS X 10.9.4 and Google Chrome.

1. No search box at bottom of left navbar in reference manual if I follow link from notebook() and help, or visit the help link directly in the notebook server at http://localhost:8080/doc/live/reference/index.html.

2. But search box is there if I do manual() from the sage command prompt and view in the same browser, which is using file URL: file:///Users/.../sage/src/doc/output/html/en/reference/index.html