Fwd: Sage 5.2 fails to build (mpir-2.4.0.p6) on Fedora 16 32-bit

Rick Graham

Sep 10, 2012, 2:15:58 PM9/10/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

After failing an upgrade from Sage v. 4.8, the Sage v. 5.2 source was
downloaded (md5sum checked fine) and the build started. The build
failed with mpir-2.4.0.p6 complaining that "configure: error: ABI=32
is not among the following valid choices: standard".

The config.log and mpir-2.4.0.p6.log are attached.

Thanks for your help.
Rick
mpir-2.4.0.p6.log
config.log

rickhg12hs

Sep 11, 2012, 12:51:45 PM9/11/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, September 10, 2012 2:16:02 PM UTC-4, rickhg12hs wrote:
After failing an upgrade from Sage v. 4.8, the Sage v. 5.2 source was
downloaded (md5sum checked fine) and the build started.  The build
failed with mpir-2.4.0.p6 complaining that "configure: error: ABI=32
is not among the following valid choices: standard".

I ran "make -k" just so the build would continue after the mpir failure and another problem was encountered.  Something needing Fedora 16's openssl-devel failed and after installing it from the normal Fedora repo the only build failure now seems to be mpir.  Fedora 16's mpir is several versions older than Sage's 5.2 so I'm wondering if there is just another dependency I need to successfully build Sage 5.2.

Any thoughts?

rickhg12hs

Sep 12, 2012, 9:33:56 AM9/12/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, September 10, 2012 2:16:02 PM UTC-4, rickhg12hs wrote:
After failing an upgrade from Sage v. 4.8, the Sage v. 5.2 source was
downloaded (md5sum checked fine) and the build started.  The build
failed with mpir-2.4.0.p6 complaining that "configure: error: ABI=32
is not among the following valid choices: standard".

Not done testing yet, and it's not ideal, but this workaround built completely without error.

$ MPIR_CONFIGURE='ABI=standard' make

rickhg12hs

Sep 17, 2012, 2:07:26 PM9/17/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Assigning  MPIR_CONFIGURE as above before executing make does seem to be an effective workaround.  Everything was built and all the tests (./sage -testall) passed.

Perhaps there's a configuration detection problem that requires this workaround?