Book with Sage (and Python 3)

Manfred Einsiedler

Dec 24, 2019, 5:37:11 AM12/24/19
to sage-support
Hi,
I am working with Menny Aka and Tom Ward on a little book for high school and undergraduate students that also invites the reader to do a bit of programming, for a slightly dated version see https://tbward0.wixsite.com/books/journey
We are also new to sage but really enjoyed learning it along the way. Thanks for the great tool.

During the refereeing process we were told by one of the referees of the upcoming python 2/3 change and that it would be annoying if our intro to sage is obsolete even before the book gets published.  I haven’t yet tried but I will download and install the latest beta on version 9 to test all sage code in our book. Is there anything I should be a aware of when I do? Eg. to what extent is it complete — I believe our little intro doesn’t venture very deep into the possibilities of Sage.

Thanks,
Manfred Einsiedler

pedrito...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2019, 11:59:27 AM12/24/19
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Manfred,
Thank you so much for such a nice Christmas gift. Thank you for sharing.
Pedro

Eric Gourgoulhon

Dec 25, 2019, 9:35:41 AM12/25/19
to sage-support
Congratulations for the book. It looks very nice!

The switch to Python 3 shall take place in early January, with the release of SageMath 9.0.
You can see some details on https://wiki.sagemath.org/Python3-Switch.
As you say, your code examples are likely to work without any change, except for the print command, which must replaced by the print() function.
A thing that certainly must be updated is the reference to Sage notebook in Sec. 1.8.1 (page 63): the default notebook is now Jupyter. It is launcher with
sage -n jupyter
not with notebook().
You can export your old Sage notebooks (*.sws) to the Jupyter format (*.ipynb) via the command
sage -n export

A big advantage of Jupyter notebooks is that it is very easy to share them online provided they are stored in some public repository, like github or gitlab: non-interactive versions are displayed with nbviewer.jupyter.org
while interactive ones are launched via  binder.
You can see many examples here (nbviewer) or here (binder).

Best wishes,

Eric.

Manfred Einsiedler

Dec 26, 2019, 11:18:07 AM12/26/19
to sage-support
Thanks for your prompt and very helpful reply. I am happy to wait a couple of weeks to use the official version 9.0 for testing the sage content of the book.
Best, Manfred

Eric Gourgoulhon

Dec 27, 2019, 5:24:34 AM12/27/19
to sage-support
Hi,

Le jeudi 26 décembre 2019 17:18:07 UTC+1, Manfred Einsiedler a écrit :
Thanks for your prompt and very helpful reply. I am happy to wait a couple of weeks to use the official version 9.0 for testing the sage content of the book.

Sage 9.0.rc0 has just been released, so hopefully Sage 9.0 should be out in one week or so.

Best wishes,

Eric.

Manfred Einsiedler

Feb 6, 2020, 4:20:59 AM2/6/20
to sage-support
Hi,

Many thanks for your quick responses and tips concerning SageMath, Jupyter, and the typos.
Meanwhile we have a final draft and will have the full book online until end of February 2020 or so:

Let us know if you have comments on the text.

Best,
Manfred

Henri Girard

Mar 1, 2020, 5:54:21 AM3/1/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Can you share the code in sagemath ?

Best

Henri

darwin doppelganger

Mar 1, 2020, 7:25:09 PM3/1/20
to sage-support
The book, the Sage example files and Jupyter notebook files are all posted at their website, https://tbward0.wixsite.com/books/journey

HG

Mar 2, 2020, 2:34:58 AM3/2/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

thank you , sorry I didn't  understand that solution were notebooks

Henri

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/62081605-3351-4809-bf30-74a2ee88a1e9%40googlegroups.com.

HG

Mar 2, 2020, 3:03:45 AM3/2/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Is there a french version ?

Manfred Einsiedler

Mar 2, 2020, 7:40:43 AM3/2/20
to sage-support
Sorry, no not even a German version. :-)

HG

Mar 2, 2020, 12:08:06 PM3/2/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Don't worry :)

I am not an expert in maths, but your notebook are interesting and I will translate some with some ideas of mine. I don't know well algebra though I can understand some very hight formulas and I like the design of the square and the cube I will do it in french for my son who is in 3ième next year.

thanks

Henri

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/6fc101b8-18d1-4873-9f1a-27b049ead5b7%40googlegroups.com.