Re: [sage-support] Error installing package libm4rie on debian squeeze

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 5, 2012, 8:15:17 AM10/5/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2012-10-05 13:40, jerneaux wrote:
> I am trying to install sage 5.3 from source on debian squeeze running on a virtual machine with intel xeon cpu. The kernel is 2.6.32-5-686.
Is the error reproducible, i.e. when you run "make" again, does it again
fail in the same spot?

jerneaux

Oct 8, 2012, 11:18:40 AM10/8/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeroen,

thank you for answering. Yes, I ran make three times. Each time I got the same error.

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 8, 2012, 4:59:57 PM10/8/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Please try (from SAGE_ROOT):
$ ./sage --sh
(sage-sh) $ cd /var/data/sage-5.3/spkg/build/libm4rie-20120613/src
(sage-sh) $ gcc -save-temps -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./m4rie
-I/var/data/sage-5.3/local/include -I/include -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3
-O2 -fPIC -Wall -pedantic -g -I/var/data/sage-5.3/local/include -MT
conversion.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/conversion.Tpo -c m4rie/conversion.c
-fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/conversion.o

This should fail as before, but now you have a file m4rie/conversion.i
Could you send me that file?

jerneaux

Oct 9, 2012, 7:53:23 AM10/9/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I ran the command as you posted it. It finished without any error.
So I tried to run make again, but it stopped with the initial error.
I attached the file conversion.i
conversion.i

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 9, 2012, 10:33:55 AM10/9/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2012-10-09 13:53, jerneaux wrote:
> Ok, I ran the command as you posted it. It finished without any error.
That's not good. Are you sure you ran this *within the Sage shell*?

jerneaux

Oct 10, 2012, 4:16:48 AM10/10/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:34:02 PM UTC+2, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
That's not good.  Are you sure you ran this *within the Sage shell*?

Sorry, I think I wasn't. I ran the command in the sage shell this time and it now failed.
conversion.i is attached.
conversion.i

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 12, 2012, 8:14:21 AM10/12/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I tried building conversion.i on a similar system, but was unable to
reproduce the problem. It might be really a problem with GCC, or it
might be a problem with your system, I cannot tell. Is there any chance
that I can get access to that system? Otherwise there is not much more
I can do.

It must be said that conversion.i takes a *very* long time to compile,
15 minutes on the system I tried. But eventually it succeeded.

jerneaux

Oct 16, 2012, 5:41:16 AM10/16/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I tried building conversion.i on a similar system, but was unable to
reproduce the problem.  It might be really a problem with GCC, or it
might be a problem with your system, I cannot tell.  Is there any chance
that I can get access to that system?  Otherwise there is not much more
I can do.

It must be said that conversion.i takes a *very* long time to compile,
15 minutes on the system I tried.  But eventually it succeeded.

The system runs in a firewall-protected network, and I don't have direct access to the firewall settings. So giving you access from outside would be possible but be a bit complicated.
I'll try to find another suitable machine for installing sage first.
Thank you very much for your efforts.

jerneaux

Oct 22, 2012, 9:50:12 AM10/22/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

All right, it was a problem with gcc. I reinstalled gcc and then was able to build sage.
Thanks again for the help.