Contents of notebook vanished

Dennis Eichhorn

Mar 24, 2014, 4:41:57 AM3/24/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Running 'Sage Version 5.1, Release Date: 2012-07-09' in Windows 7 using Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager as suggested.

A notebook that had a lot of very important stuff in it has turned into a blank notebook. I had been saving frequently, but was in the middle of making a bunch of 3D graphic images when they stopped showing up. I decided that maybe I had too many at once, so I saved and restarted my VM VirtualBox session as usual (clicked save button, then clicked the red X on my window, which gives me 3 choices as usual, I chose #2, "send the shutdown signal". Then after shutdown, clicked on the sage machine in VM VirtualBox, and the whole sage thing restarts, and shows me a list of my notebooks). I did this once or twice and it reopened my notebook as usual, but I still had the problem of after a few 3D images, they stopped showing up (Jmol just gave me a black square, I think). So, I followed the same steps to restart, but now my notebook is empty!

I do not understand the VM VirtualBox well at all. I think it's creating it's own file system on my hard drive. I do not know how to access my sage files from windows directly, for example.

How can I recover my notebook in any form?

ALSO, I WAS able to find some older copies of the notebook. I also frequently save not by hitting the save button, but by going to File, Save worksheet to a file, then OK. I think this is creating tons of copies of my notebook (is it a notebook or a worksheet?). I went to File, Load worksheet from a file, then clicked on the "choose file" button, then went to File System, home/gui/Downloads , and sure enough there are tons of copies of my notebook. But, for some reason all of them are over 4 months old, although I feel pretty certain I've saved via the file button many times since then. The file names are listed like this:

filename.sws
filename (1).sws
filename (2).sws
etc. (filename is the same throughout) all the way down to
filename (100).sws

There's exactly 100 of them! Coincidence?

Can anyone help me find a more recent copy in any way?

Thanks so much!