OS X 12.3 intel: scipy fails to build

John H Palmieri

Mar 17, 2022, 5:01:49 PM3/17/22
to sage-support
Since upgrading to OS X 12.3 a few days ago, along with the corresponding Xcode and command line tools, I have been unable to build scipy. The end of the log file says

  Building wheel for scipy (pyproject.toml): finished with status 'error'
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for scipy

A little before that:

  /Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage/sage_builds/TESTING/sage-9.6.beta5/local/var/lib/sage/venv-python3.10.2/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pythran/pythonic/types/str.hpp:417:12: error: no matching constructor for initialization of 'typename str::reverse_iterator' (aka 'reverse_iterator<(anonymous namespace)::pythonic::types::string_iterator>')
      return {data->rend()};
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Log files attached. I've tried this using all of my installed homebrew packages and also using (as you can see in config.log) "--with-system-python3=no", same result either way. Any suggestions?

--
John

scipy-1.7.3.log
config.log

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 17, 2022, 5:34:56 PM3/17/22
to sage-support
It would be worth checking whether "./sage -pip install -U pythran" or "./sage -pip install -U git+https://github.com/serge-sans-paille/pythran" fixes this issue

John H Palmieri

Mar 17, 2022, 6:00:24 PM3/17/22
to sage-support
"./sage -pip install -U pythran" seems to have worked. I checked Sage's pythran log and didn't see anything suspicious, for what that's worth.

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 17, 2022, 7:14:35 PM3/17/22
to sage-support
Thanks for testing! I have opened https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/33522 for the upgrade