sage-env problems - sage-6.2-x86_64-Darwin

Allen Hall

May 28, 2014, 1:34:58 PM5/28/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I have what is likely a simple problem, but am having trouble tracking it down.  I'm using the binary / dmg release of Sage for osX on a 10.9.1 machine.  I mistakenly launched Sage from the dmb, and that is likely the source of all my woes.  Current problem (after pointing it to the executable within the .app package in macos/ folder) is the following:

[code]
Setting environment variables
/Applications/Sage-6.2.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/mac-app/build/Debug/Sage.app/Contents/Resources/start-sage.sh: line 43: spkg/bin/sage-env: No such file or directory
/Applications/Sage-6.2.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/mac-app/build/Debug/Sage.app/Contents/Resources/start-sage.sh: line 43: local/bin/sage-env: No such file or directory
[/code]

Is there a configuration file that I can edit to fix these things?  Where are these files supposedly located in the .app release of Sage?  Anyway to start from ground-zero and reinstall with the app again?  [i.e., where are all written files in the .dmg release located.]  This info would be nice to have in the .readme file along with a "don't click me in the .dmg" text touched file in the release as a warning to future sage-newbs.

Thanks for any and all help!
-Allen

ps- I have other python installations on the same machine, already selected for cli work- will this program alter the python selected to be used by the CLI?  (my worry)

Ivan Andrus

May 30, 2014, 2:53:32 AM5/30/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On May 28, 2014, at 11:34 AM, Allen Hall <ajh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have what is likely a simple problem, but am having trouble tracking it down. I'm using the binary / dmg release of Sage for osX on a 10.9.1 machine. I mistakenly launched Sage from the dmb, and that is likely the source of all my woes. Current problem (after pointing it to the executable within the .app package in macos/ folder) is the following:

How did you point it to the executable in the .app package? It shouldn’t be in the MacOS folder, it should be in the Resources folder. But you shouldn’t have to know that since in the preferences you can set it to use the built in executable. Is that what you did?

> [code]
> Setting environment variables
> /Applications/Sage-6.2.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/mac-app/build/Debug/Sage.app/Contents/Resources/start-sage.sh: line 43: spkg/bin/sage-env: No such file or directory
> /Applications/Sage-6.2.app/Contents/Resources/sage/src/mac-app/build/Debug/Sage.app/Contents/Resources/start-sage.sh: line 43: local/bin/sage-env: No such file or directory
> [/code]
>
> Is there a configuration file that I can edit to fix these things? Where are these files supposedly located in the .app release of Sage? Anyway to start from ground-zero and reinstall with the app again? [i.e., where are all written files in the .dmg release located.]

You can delete ~/Library/Preferences/org.sagemath.Sage.plist

> This info would be nice to have in the .readme file along with a "don't click me in the .dmg" text touched file in the release as a warning to future sage-newbs.

I’ve been meaning to fix it so that it won’t even start up, it will just warn you about moving it. But I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I hope to put some time into it soon though.

> Thanks for any and all help!
> -Allen

I hope it helps.

> ps- I have other python installations on the same machine, already selected for cli work- will this program alter the python selected to be used by the CLI? (my worry)

It shouldn’t though I’m not sure what you mean by that. It doesn’t add anything to your PATH if that’s what you mean.

-Ivan

Ivan Andrus

Jun 3, 2014, 1:51:04 AM6/3/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
For what it’s worth, I (finally) have a branch up on trac that will warn about running from a disk image: