sagemath 9 + Graph

Jean-François Ingenbleek

Jan 18, 2020, 5:00:06 AM1/18/20
to sage-support
G = Graph({'A':['B','C']})
G.show()

give this strange message

/opt/sagemath-9.0/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py:281: UserWarning: Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. This may take a moment.
  'Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. '

help is welcome
Big thanks

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 18, 2020, 5:20:22 AM1/18/20
to sage-support
this should happen just once over the lifetime of your installation.
If this happens every time matplotlib is imported then it's probably

HTH
Dima

dimpase

Jan 18, 2020, 10:18:59 AM1/18/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
well, this seems to be like a normal thing, and should just happen once over the lifetime of your installation.
If it keeps happening every time you import matplotlib then it's another story, probably
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34771191/matplotlib-taking-time-when-being-imported

HTH
Dima

> help is welcome
>
> Big thanks
>
> --

signature.asc

Jean-François Ingenbleek

Jan 20, 2020, 4:44:19 AM1/20/20
to sage-support
More than an hour that the program displays the message ... is this normal?

thanks a lot

Le samedi 18 janvier 2020 16:18:59 UTC+1, dimpase a écrit :
On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 02:00:06AM -0800, Jean-François Ingenbleek wrote:
> G = Graph({'A':['B','C']})
> G.show()
>
> give this strange message
>
> /opt/sagemath-9.0/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py:281: UserWarning: Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. This may take a moment.
>   'Matplotlib is building the font cache using fc-list. '

well, this seems to be like a normal thing, and should just happen once over the lifetime of your installation.
If it keeps happening every time you import matplotlib then it's another story, probably
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34771191/matplotlib-taking-time-when-being-imported

HTH
Dima

> help is welcome
>
> Big thanks

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 20, 2020, 5:05:56 AM1/20/20
to sage-support
On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 9:44 AM Jean-François Ingenbleek
<jinge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More than an hour that the program displays the message ... is this normal?

you mean, it's stuck on this message for an hour? No, that's not normal.
Probably you need to delete

~/.matplotlib

and possibly other locations discussed on
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34771191/matplotlib-taking-time-when-being-imported

and try again.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/d5abe558-a146-4670-aec2-c5fbfd2d10cf%40googlegroups.com.

Jean-François Ingenbleek

Jan 25, 2020, 11:03:54 AM1/25/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
alas, it does not work at all ... I am a little lost in the multiple directories of sagemath (windows 8.1).

You must warn against using sagemath 9.0 yet !!

Vincent Delecroix

Jan 25, 2020, 11:29:17 AM1/25/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jean-Francois,

When you do report an error having to do with the SageMath
installation (and not about "how to use SageMath"), it is
strongly advised to state precisely what is your setup.
SageMath installs on dozens of operating systems in half
dozen ways. Each installation setup comes with its own
troubles. More precisely, your problem has a chance to
be solved if you state clearly

1. what is your operating system
2. which SageMath version (here you said clearly 9.0)
3. Which steps did you follow to install SageMath

Assuming that for 3 you use the windows binary (please
confirm), I reported the issue on

https://github.com/sagemath/sage-windows/issues/42

It would be nice to know 1 as well.

Best
Vincent

Jean-François Ingenbleek

Jan 26, 2020, 9:29:59 AM1/26/20
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
1. what is your operating system:                                   >windows 8.1
2. which SageMath version (here you said clearly 9.0)  SageMath-9.0-Installer-v0.5.2
3. Which steps did you follow to install SageMath           SageMath-9.0-Installer-v0.5.2

Thanks for your help

E. Madison Bray

Jan 28, 2020, 7:07:08 AM1/28/20
to sage-support
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 5:03:54 PM UTC+1, Jean-François Ingenbleek wrote:
alas, it does not work at all ... I am a little lost in the multiple directories of sagemath (windows 8.1).

You must warn against using sagemath 9.0 yet !!

Hello; with respect, I cannot reproduce this problem, and it's not universal, so I don't think such a warning is warranted.

I don't know exactly how the matplotlib font cache works, but it's likely it involves Python pickles somehow, and is broken due to trying to load some Python 2 pickles on Python 3.  Although that *shouldn't* be such a problem, I think I have seen cases (e.g. due to a bug in the pickle interpreter?) where this can hang, though I can't seem to quickly find a reference to a specific issue.

Try running `rm -rf ~/.sage/matplotlib*` in the SageMath Shell and it should be alright.

Jean-François Ingenbleek

Jan 29, 2020, 4:21:36 AM1/29/20
to sage-support
No nothing helps ... it doesn't work better.

I think that you should not switch to sagemath9 if it is practically impossible to use matplotlib !!

Dima Pasechnik

Jan 29, 2020, 5:27:23 AM1/29/20
to sage-support
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:21 AM Jean-François Ingenbleek
<jinge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No nothing helps ... it doesn't work better.
>
> I think that you should not switch to sagemath9 if it is practically impossible to use matplotlib !!

Sorry, but of course one can use Sagemath 9.0 on a Linux computer. :-)
Windows machines are difficult to use to run
any software that does not come from Microsoft; it could be that a
particular configuration of security features,
anti-virus software, perhaps even malware, on *your* machine that
causes this particular breakage.