Sage (6.4.1) notebook build failed on 32 bit CentOS 5.11

Kevin Conway

Dec 11, 2014, 5:29:58 PM12/11/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
   Sage (6.4.1) notebook build failed on 32 bit CentOS 5.11. Version of sagenb was 0.11.1. To reproduce, build Sage from source (e.g., ./make from Sage installation directory). CPU was "CPU1: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4400  @ 2.00GHz stepping 0d" per dmesg. Sage runs, but ptest or building pdf docs replays the error messages, as shown below. The tar file for sagenb could be unpacked manually OK (in off-tree location). Checksums on Sage source download tarball matched up OK. What is the best course of action to get this to build properly? Is there a reason why it failed?
   I previously posted a similar item, but it did not appear in the sage-support list of items, so I am trying it again.

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/build'
/home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/build/pipestatus "sage-spkg -f sagenb-0.11.1 2>&1" "tee -a /home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/logs/pkgs/sagenb-0.11.1.log"
Found local metadata for sagenb-0.11.1
Found local sources at /home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/upstream/sagenb-0.11.1.tar
Checksum: eb4fd89c8c907171a098fa6f06891bd8 vs eb4fd89c8c907171a098fa6f06891bd8
sagenb-0.11.1
Setting up build directory for sagenb-0.11.1
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `LIBARCHIVE.creationtime'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'
[...]
Error: failed to extract /home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/upstream/sagenb-0.11.1.tar
make[2]: *** [/home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/local/var/lib/sage/installed/sagenb-0.11.1] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/build'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/build'

real    0m0.551s
user    0m0.337s
sys     0m0.210s
Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build:

package: sagenb-0.11.1
log file: /home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/logs/pkgs/sagenb-0.11.1.log
build directory: /home/kevinc/sage-6.4.1/local/var/tmp/sage/build/sagenb-0.11.1

kcrisman

Dec 11, 2014, 10:10:58 PM12/11/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

   Sage (6.4.1) notebook build failed on 32 bit CentOS 5.11. Version of sagenb was 0.11.1. To reproduce, build Sage from source (e.g., ./make from Sage installation directory). CPU was "CPU1: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4400  @ 2.00GHz stepping 0d" per dmesg. Sage runs, but ptest or building pdf docs replays the error messages, as shown below. The tar file for sagenb could be unpacked manually OK (in off-tree location). Checksums on Sage source download tarball matched up OK. What is the best course of action to get this to build properly? Is there a reason why it failed?
   I previously posted a similar item, but it did not appear in the sage-support list of items, so I am trying it again.

I wonder if it's because of the bsd tar I used to tar it (I built that package, and have a Mac, and this has been known to cause occasional warning messages, though I don't know about build errors).  See e.g. http://superuser.com/questions/318809/linux-os-x-tar-incompatibility-tarballs-created-on-os-x-give-errors-when-unt

What you could do is to retar the directory yourself, and replace the old tar file with that one; then things should work fine.  The old release scripts repackaged all our spkg files anyway, but I think the new layout release style does not do that, as it takes tar balls directly from upstream. In this case, an upstream who uses Mac :(

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 12, 2014, 6:08:27 AM12/12/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-12-12, kcrisman <kcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_154_1466710874.1418353858850
>
> ------=_Part_155_44875405.1418353858850
>

>> Sage (6.4.1) notebook build failed on 32 bit CentOS 5.11. Version of
>> sagenb was 0.11.1. To reproduce, build Sage from source (e.g., ./make from
>> Sage installation directory). CPU was "CPU1: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
>> E4400 @ 2.00GHz stepping 0d" per dmesg. Sage runs, but ptest or building
>> pdf docs replays the error messages, as shown below. The tar file for
>> sagenb could be unpacked manually OK (in off-tree location). Checksums on
>> Sage source download tarball matched up OK. What is the best course of
>> action to get this to build properly? Is there a reason why it failed?
>> I previously posted a similar item, but it did not appear in the
>> sage-support list of items, so I am trying it again.
>>

> I wonder if it's because of the bsd tar I used to tar it (I built that
don't you have 'gtar' on your machine too?

> package, and have a Mac, and this has been known to cause occasional
> warning messages, though I don't know about build errors). See
> e.g. http://superuser.com/questions/318809/linux-os-x-tar-incompatibility-tarballs-created-on-os-x-give-errors-when-unt

surely enough, I see the same warnings on a 64-bit Linux:
$ tar tf upstream/sagenb-0.11.1.tar | less
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `LIBARCHIVE.creationtime'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'

Probably my tar is newer and thus the install can live with this.
IMHO this tarball should be replaced by something glatt kosher...

Please open a ticket and cc me on it.

> What you could do is to retar the directory yourself, and replace the old
> tar file with that one; then things should work fine.
no, this is not enough, as this will surely change the tarball
checksum; you need to follow the instructions
in sage developer guide to recreate them.

http://sagemath.org/doc/developer/packaging.html#checksums

Best,
Dima

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 12, 2014, 6:15:09 AM12/12/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I also noticed that the instructions to build the package in SPKG.txt
are outdated. Perhaps this ticket should fix these too...

Dima Pasechnik

Dec 12, 2014, 6:26:52 AM12/12/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
including a reference to this
https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/blob/master/ReleaseInstr.md
will do.

kcrisman

Dec 12, 2014, 12:37:45 PM12/12/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

>>> I wonder if it's because of the bsd tar I used to tar it (I built that
>> don't you have 'gtar' on your machine too?

I have `gnutar`, I guess.  Maybe that should be added to the release instructions as well...
>> Probably my tar is newer and thus the install can live with this.
>> IMHO this tarball should be replaced by something glatt kosher...

I would love this.

>> Please open a ticket and cc me on it.

> I also noticed that the instructions to build the package in SPKG.txt
> are outdated. Perhaps this ticket should fix these too...
including a reference to this
https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/blob/master/ReleaseInstr.md
will do.

Yes.

Jeroen Demeyer

Dec 12, 2014, 1:32:05 PM12/12/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-12-11 23:29, Kevin Conway wrote:
> Sage (6.4.1) notebook build failed on 32 bit CentOS 5.11. Version of
> sagenb was 0.11.1. To reproduce, build Sage from source (e.g., ./make
> from Sage installation directory).
What's your "tar --version"?