How to make %edit open editor?

sasha

Mar 12, 2014, 12:16:33 PM3/12/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

I'm on ubuntu 10.04 and have Sage 6.1.1.

I have read this in sage tutorial:

You can use %edit (or %ed or ed) to open an editor, if you want to type in some complex code. Before you start Sage, make sure that the EDITOR environment variable is set to your favorite editor (by putting export EDITOR=/usr/bin/emacs or export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim or something similar in the appropriate place, like a .profile file).

I added "export EDITOR=/usr/bin/gedit" in .bashrc file and then run "source ~/.bashrc".

When I type %edit I get WARNING: Could not open editor.

What is missing?

Thanks.