What do the different `make ****clean` targets do?

rickhg12hs

Feb 11, 2018, 8:57:16 PM2/11/18
to sage-support
I've built from source to get a performance boost (I hope) and I'd like to know when I should use the different levels of `make ****clean`.  In the top-level make file I see, "misc-clean, bdist-clean, clean, distclean, build-clean, bootstrap-clean, maintainer-clean, sagelib-clean" as either targets or dependencies of targets.

For example, on a drive-space challenged system, which `clean` target will ... 1) delete everything but leave sage fully functionally?  ...or perhaps, ...  2) delete everything but leave enough for a "fairly quick" re-build if desired?

Is there a "make clean guide" for those who don't know the entire sage build tree/process/etc.?

Michael Orlitzky

Feb 13, 2018, 12:17:25 PM2/13/18
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 02/11/2018 08:57 PM, rickhg12hs wrote:
> I've built from source to get a performance boost (I hope) and I'd like
> to know when I should use the different levels of `make ****clean`.  In
> the top-level make file I see, "misc-clean, bdist-clean, clean,
> distclean, build-clean, bootstrap-clean, maintainer-clean,
> sagelib-clean" as either targets or dependencies of targets.

I can only partially answer your question; some of those are standard
targets that come from autotools:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html

Emmanuel Charpentier

Feb 15, 2018, 9:03:01 AM2/15/18
to sage-support
The installation guide might come here handy ; especially this paragraph.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier