installation from source failed on 6.2

Luis Finotti

May 16, 2014, 5:29:35 PM5/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I tried to build from source (as usual for me) in Debian unstable (64 bit).

The install.log can be found here: http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/install.log

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

Luis

P Purkayastha

May 16, 2014, 5:34:27 PM5/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Your main error is here:

checking for python... /usr/local/sage-6.2/local/bin/python
checking for a version of Python >= '2.1.0'... sys:1: RuntimeWarning: not adding directory '' to sys.path since it's writable by an untrusted group.
Untrusted users could put files in this directory which might then be imported by your Python code. As a general precaution from similar exploits, you should not execute Python code from this directory
yes
checking for the distutils Python package... no
configure: error: cannot import Python module "distutils".
Please check your Python installation. The error was:
sys:1: RuntimeWarning: not adding directory '' to sys.path since it's writable by an untrusted group.
Untrusted users could put files in this directory which might then be imported by your Python code. As a general precaution from similar exploits, you should not execute Python code from this directory
make[3]: Entering directory '/usr/local/sage-6.2/local/var/tmp/sage/build/pynac-0.3.2/src'
make[3]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/sage-6.2/local/var/tmp/sage/build/pynac-0.3.2/src'
Error building pynac.

Try restarting the build process. It should pick up from where it stopped.

Luis Finotti

May 16, 2014, 5:37:37 PM5/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, May 16, 2014 5:34:27 PM UTC-4, P Purkayastha wrote:

[...]

OK, trying right now...  Thanks for the reply!

But, could you tell me or explain why the error?  Is there a way around it?

Thanks,

Luis

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen

May 16, 2014, 5:39:17 PM5/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I got this error as well on FreeBSD when I tried to build sage as root.

Building as non-root fixed the problem.

P Purkayastha

May 16, 2014, 5:41:53 PM5/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Actually, the problem in both cases could be that some directory, maybe /usr/local/sage-6.2 or some directory inside it, was group writable.

Adam Knapp

May 19, 2014, 2:24:23 PM5/19/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I ran into the same problem compiling as root, but it persisted despite a 'chmod -R g-w *' to the sage directory. chown-ing to a non-root account and recompiling seems to be working.

Luis Finotti

May 19, 2014, 3:00:06 PM5/19/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM, Montgomery-Smith, Stephen <ste...@missouri.edu> wrote:
On 05/16/2014 04:29 PM, Luis Finotti wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I tried to build from source (as usual for me) in Debian unstable (64 bit).
>
> The install.log can be found here:
> http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/install.log
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best to all,
>
> Luis

I got this error as well on FreeBSD when I tried to build sage as root.

Building as non-root fixed the problem.

OK, I tried to continue the installation, and it failed again.  The new log can be seen here: http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/install.log.2

I did find some directories with group write permissions.  I removed these permissions and tried again, but this time it failed very quickly.  I scraped it and now I am trying to build as a regular user.  I will let you know if this fixes it.

Oddly enough, in my office computer, running Fedora, it installed without problems...

Best to all,

Luis

P Purkayastha

May 19, 2014, 5:08:30 PM5/19/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, Luis Finotti
> --

Your problem seems to be this:

[...]

I had seen this error before and for me

./sage -f pynac

worked. But this was on a development version of sage and already all
the components from a previous beta version of sage were already
present.

P Purkayastha

May 19, 2014, 5:09:33 PM5/19/14
On Tue 20 May 2014 03:00:06 AM SGT, Luis Finotti wrote:

> --

Sorry for the hurried email previously - this is the same error as
earlier! Your pynac build is never finishing.

P Purkayastha

May 19, 2014, 5:18:35 PM5/19/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, Luis Finotti
Can you check the permissions on SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/python2.7 and SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/python/distutils and make sure they are not group writable?

Luis Finotti

May 19, 2014, 5:31:52 PM5/19/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, Luis Finotti
Sorry for the hurried email previously - this is the same error as
earlier! Your pynac build is never finishing.

OK, for what is worth, building as a non-root user worked...

I've checked to directories you've mentioned in the previous messages and, after successful compilation, they were not group writable.