Status of the Mathematica interface?

Robert Jacobson

Dec 8, 2014, 9:57:47 PM12/8/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I'm on OS X Yosemite with Mathematica 10. I can't get Sage to talk to Mathematica, i.e. the following fails:
sage: mathematica('Factor[x^2-1]')

However, it fails differently depending on the version of Sage. With 5.8 I get:
TypeError: Unable to start mathematica

With 6.4.1 Sage appears to hang. Control+C dumps me back to the sage: prompt. Some googling reveals ticket #13892 and the (apparent) duplicate ticket #15318 indicating that the Mathematica interface is fragile and has been broken for a couple of years. Do I understand correctly that the Mathematica interface is still not working?

Best,

Robert