Windows install problems

Fernando Q. Gouvea

Mar 12, 2021, 3:01:37 PM3/12/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I have installed Sage on lots of windows machines using the prepared
binary, but this time I'm having trouble.

The installation seems to run fine and creates the icons. When I click
on the SageMath 9.2 icon, however, I get this:

mount: /tmp: Invalid argument
Sage home directory set to 'C:\Users\fqgouvea'
Close and restart all Sage sessions for the new setting to take effect.

And then nothing for a long time. If I lose my patience and close that
window (one time I waited a whole day), then the next time I click I get
a blank terminal window.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Fernando

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College
Mayflower Hill 5836
Waterville, ME 04901
fqgo...@colby.edu http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Vincent Delecroix

Mar 14, 2021, 5:04:27 PM3/14/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Fernando,

The error should be reported to

https://github.com/sagemath/sage-windows

If you do so, include a more complete description
of your settings. That is

- your operating system (ie which Windows version)
- the version of the SageMath Windows installer
you tried (ie 0.6.1 or 0.6.2 since you mentioned SageMath 9.2)
- if you had a previous working SageMath on the same machine

Best
Vincent

Fernando Q. Gouvea

Mar 15, 2021, 9:48:21 AM3/15/21
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Turns out the problem was not with the Sage installer at all. There was
a pre-existing installation of Cygwin to which the system path pointed.
After removing the Cygwin64 directory from the path, the Sage
installation works.

Fernando
Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College
Mayflower Hill 5836
Waterville, ME 04901
fqgo...@colby.edu http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

Men despise religion; they hate it, and they fear it is true.
-- Blaise Pascal