direct product and direct sum of groups

Mattia Villani

Mar 24, 2021, 10:53:06 AM3/24/21
to sage-support
How can I calculate the direct product of two groups and/or the direct sum?
For example given:

G.<x,y>=FreeGroup()
H=G.quotient([x*y])

how do I calculate H+H and HxH?

slelievre

Mar 24, 2021, 11:59:44 AM3/24/21
to sage-support
2021-03-24 14:53:06 UTC, Matt:
Having defined `H`, you can type

    H.

then hit the TAB key to see what methods are available.

This reveals the methods `cartesian_product`
and `direct_product`, are they what you need?

```
sage: G.<x, y> = FreeGroup()
sage: H = G.quotient([x*y])

sage: H.cartesian_product(H)
The Cartesian product of
(Finitely presented group < x, y | x*y >,
 Finitely presented group < x, y | x*y >)

sage: H.direct_product(H)
Finitely presented group < a, b, c, d |
    a*b, c*d, a^-1*c^-1*a*c, a^-1*d^-1*a*d,
    b^-1*c^-1*b*c, b^-1*d^-1*b*d >
```

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 24, 2021, 2:44:01 PM3/24/21
to sage-support
careful here, FreeGroup is not Abelian, you'll want to add commuting relations
for all its generators.

You might prefer AbelianGroup() to begin with.