Hilbert Symbol Over Number Fields Not Multiplicative

AHaensch

Apr 1, 2014, 9:19:05 AM4/1/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
In general, it is known that for a field F and for a prime p, (a,b)_p*(a,c)_p=(a,bc)_p for any a, b in F (cf O'meara 63:12).  Here ( , )_p denotes the Hilbert Symbol over F localized at p.

sage: K.<a>=NumberField(x^2+5)
sage: p=K.primes_above(2)[0];p
Fractional ideal (2, a + 1)
sage: K.hilbert_symbol(2*a,-1,p)
1
sage: K.hilbert_symbol(2*a,2,p)
1
sage: K.hilbert_symbol(2*a,-2,p)
-1

Why is this happening?  I tried it using pari commands (pari(K).nfhilbert(2*a,-1,p.pari_prime())) and I'm getting the same thing.  I'm afraid I'm making some very trivial error, but it's not obvious to me.

John Cremona

Apr 1, 2014, 9:57:42 AM4/1/14
to SAGE support
It's a bug! You checked against pari: the Sage function just calls
pari anyway (try K.hilbert_symbol??) so this is a pari bug.

I checked with Magma and for the three symbols above the results were
+1, -1, -1 so it is the middle one which is wrong.

This requires a bug report to pari; they are very good about fixing
bugs but it will take longer for the fix to find its way into Sage.

John