Inconsistency regarding QQ and ZZ?

Rolandb

Mar 17, 2013, 3:51:37 AM3/17/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi, QQ[] is a field of rationals fractions and ZZ[] of integers.
The following puzzles me:

sage: R.<A,d>=QQ[]
sage: factor(A^d+2*A-3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: non-integral exponents not supported
sage: R.<A,d>=ZZ[]
sage: factor(A^d+2*A-3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: non-integral exponents not supported

Or is the message "non-integral exponents not supported" not clear to me?
Sage Version 5.7 Windows
Roland

Robert Bradshaw

Mar 17, 2013, 4:02:53 AM3/17/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
The syntax "R.<A,d> = QQ[]" creates a polynomial ring in two
variables, with generators A and d (bound to the current session). A^d
is not a polynomial in A and d over QQ.

sage: R.<A,d>=QQ[]
sage: R
Multivariate Polynomial Ring in A, d over Rational Field