Re: demo server down

Safia Yonker

Sep 28, 2012, 8:53:42 AM9/28/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Well Demo is back up.  Thank you to you who fixed that problem.
I tried to log on to sagenb.org again to day and was prompted to create yet another account today.  Funny thing is I have been able to each time.  No message that my email or user name was taken.  Any word on what is going on there?  I have a few students that lost work between tuesday and wednesday.
I appreciate this work an woud gladly financially support it.

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:09:56 PM UTC-4, Safia Yonker wrote:
Hello.  It seems demo.sagenb.org is down with a 503 error.  Also I opened an account on the main sagenb.org tuesday and was able to access it again tuesday night but then wednesday was prompted to create a new account.  I log on using google.  Thank you.

William Stein

Sep 28, 2012, 1:56:58 PM9/28/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Safia Yonker <syo...@communityhigh.net> wrote:
> Well Demo is back up. Thank you to you who fixed that problem.
> I tried to log on to sagenb.org again to day and was prompted to create yet
> another account today. Funny thing is I have been able to each time. No
> message that my email or user name was taken. Any word on what is going on
> there? I have a few students that lost work between tuesday and wednesday.
> I appreciate this work an woud gladly financially support it.

In the next few months, I'll be launching the service described here,
which you'll have the opportunity to financially support:

http://wstein.org/grants/2012-rrf/rrf.pdf

-- William

> On Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:09:56 PM UTC-4, Safia Yonker wrote:
>>
>> Hello. It seems demo.sagenb.org is down with a 503 error. Also I opened
>> an account on the main sagenb.org tuesday and was able to access it again
>> tuesday night but then wednesday was prompted to create a new account. I
>> log on using google. Thank you.
>
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Dr. David Kirkby

Sep 29, 2012, 10:11:00 PM9/29/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 28/09/2012 18:56, William Stein wrote:

> In the next few months, I'll be launching the service described here,
> which you'll have the opportunity to financially support:
>
> http://wstein.org/grants/2012-rrf/rrf.pdf
>
> -- William

I read that, and two things come to mind.

1) A minor one, but Ghz should be changed to GHz in numerous places.

2) Do you really think you are the best person to do what you propose, or would
it be better to get a computer scientist to do it? To me at least, this does not
require any maths, but a good computing background, and so is not the job for a
mathematician, but a computer scientist.

Dave

William Stein

Sep 29, 2012, 11:59:52 PM9/29/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, September 29, 2012, Dr. David Kirkby <david....@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 28/09/2012 18:56, William Stein wrote:
>
>> In the next few months, I'll be launching the service described here,
>> which you'll have the opportunity to financially support:
>>
>>     http://wstein.org/grants/2012-rrf/rrf.pdf
>>
>>   -- William
>
> I read that, and two things come to mind.
>
> 1) A minor one, but Ghz should be changed to GHz in numerous places.

Thanks.

> 2) Do you really think you are the best person to do what you propose, or would it be better to get a computer scientist to do it? To me at least, this does not require any maths, but a good computing background, and so is not the job for a mathematician, but a computer scientist.

I'm also a computer scientist.

> Dave

Safia Yonker

Oct 9, 2012, 8:12:03 AM10/9/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello.  The demo server seems to be down again with a 503 error.  Should I not be using that one?  Which is the most stable?

Jason Grout

Oct 9, 2012, 9:52:04 AM10/9/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 10/9/12 7:12 AM, Safia Yonker wrote:
> Hello. The demo server seems to be down again with a 503 error. Should
> I not be using that one? Which is the most stable?

It seems that demo.sagenb.org is having problems with the daily restart.
I'd say sagenb.org itself is relatively stable at this point.

Thanks,

Jason

Safia Yonker

Oct 23, 2012, 11:37:38 AM10/23/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jason, If you wouldn't mind restarting the demo server one more time.  I have one more round of documents shared with me by students that I need to download before I am completely switched to the main sagenb.org and I won't pester you about this again.

Safia

Jason Grout

Oct 23, 2012, 12:21:07 PM10/23/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 10/23/12 10:37 AM, Safia Yonker wrote:
> Hello Jason, If you wouldn't mind restarting the demo server one more
> time. I have one more round of documents shared with me by students
> that I need to download before I am completely switched to the main
> sagenb.org and I won't pester you about this again.

I think William might be migrating demo to a new server architecture.
I'm not sure where he is in this process, so I'll let him comment here.

Thanks,

Jason

William Stein

Oct 23, 2012, 1:37:27 PM10/23/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I haven't touched it yet (been busy with students). I likely won't
do anything that would cause downtime until maybe 2 days from now.

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Jason Grout

Oct 23, 2012, 1:45:08 PM10/23/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 10/23/12 12:37 PM, William Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Jason Grout
> <jason...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> On 10/23/12 10:37 AM, Safia Yonker wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Jason, If you wouldn't mind restarting the demo server one more
>>> time. I have one more round of documents shared with me by students
>>> that I need to download before I am completely switched to the main
>>> sagenb.org and I won't pester you about this again.
>>>

>> I think William might be migrating demo to a new server architecture. I'm
>> not sure where he is in this process, so I'll let him comment here.
>>

> I haven't touched it yet (been busy with students). I likely won't
> do anything that would cause downtime until maybe 2 days from now.

Okay, I restarted demo, then.

Thanks,

Jason

Safia Yonker