Where are Sage worksheets stored? Possible to access from another computer?

Zvi Rosen

Feb 27, 2014, 4:32:16 PM2/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I used the Sage application on a Mac, with the default settings of an "admin" sign-in with the terminal starting up a localhost:8080 window, from the Applications folder. I had some worksheets in my sage notebook. The computer died, but my data was able to be extracted.

Are the worksheets stored somewhere in the hard drive? Or are they on the internet somewhere, in which case, would it be accessible from another computer?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer!

William Stein

Feb 27, 2014, 5:13:00 PM2/27/14
to sage-support
They should all be in the hidden directory ~/.sage/notebook.sagenb (or
something like that).
Type

open ~/.sage

in the Terminal and browse around. You can make a 100% complete
backup of your local notebook server's state by copying the relevant
.sagenb directory.

> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Dima Pasechnik

Feb 27, 2014, 5:56:47 PM2/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 2014-02-27, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Zvi Rosen <zhr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I used the Sage application on a Mac, with the default settings of an "admin" sign-in with the terminal starting up a localhost:8080 window, from the Applications folder. I had some worksheets in my sage notebook. The computer died, but my data was able to be extracted.
>>
>> Are the worksheets stored somewhere in the hard drive? Or are they on the internet somewhere, in which case, would it be accessible from another computer?

if you need access from another computer, this is also possible.
You need to start Sage notebook sever with relevant permissions.
I.e. you can start Sage from the terminal, and then do

sage: notebook(interface='')

to make it visible from the net (note that this is not very secure way to
do things; read relevant docs to see how to make it secure...)

HTH,
Dmitrii