Problems while upgrading from 5.5 to 5.6

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jan 24, 2013, 11:27:30 AM1/24/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I tried to upgrade sage by 1) stopping the notebook server and 2) going into my sage-5.5 directory (compiled fro source on debian (mostly) wheezy on x86-64) and typing "sage -upgrade" :
Sage asked for confirmation and started to download and compile. About 20 minutes later, I goty a series of error about a maxima .fas file being absent or too old.

After that, sage was broken (wouldn't start either at command line or a server). Ouch...

For now, I have abandoned this direction and created a sage-5.6 directory where I'm compiling a fresh 5.6 tarball (compilation is underway, I still do not know if it will be successful or not). If necessary, I can reinstall a fresh copy of sage 5.5, recompile it and re-try to update it to get more precise error messages (I didn't think to take them down at the time).

Any suggestions ?

Volker Braun

Jan 24, 2013, 11:46:38 AM1/24/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Can you post the full log of the failed attempt?

Emmanuel Charpentier

Jan 24, 2013, 2:43:29 PM1/24/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Volker,

Le jeudi 24 janvier 2013 17:46:38 UTC+1, Volker Braun a écrit :
Can you post the full log of the failed attempt?

Unfortunately no : the /home/sage/sage-5.5/install.log file has the log of the initial install , some (unsuccessful) attempts to install database_gap-4.5.7 and a (successfull) installation of database_gap-4.4.12. Nothing about my attempts to upgrade.

But this tree has moved : I initially compiled it in my home directory, the moved it to the home directory of a newly created "sage" user (I use that to offer a notebook server on the local host (and remote users through a ssh tunnel...). With 20/20 hindsight, this might have fu^Kdisturbed some absolute symlinks...

Would you like me to try to recreate the problem via fresh 5.5 compilation/move/upgrade ?

(By the way : 5.6 compilation was successful and uneventful. I'm going to make ptestlong tonight.)

Thank you for your help !

                                                                                                 Emmanuel Charpentier