Connection beetwen sage and notebook/sagemathcloud

Андрей Ширшов

Mar 16, 2014, 2:10:15 AM3/16/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I decided to make a study of internationalization of error messages (python traceback).
I came to decision there should be next steps:
1. to find error messages at code of all functions/modules and systematize these messages.
2. to translate all messages and create table (maybe, .csv file).
3. to learn how notebook or sagemathcloud connect to sage.
4. to write function that catch error messages from sage to notebook or sagemathcloud and translate these messages.

I tried to understand how notebook connects to sage (I read source code or notebook_object.py, run_notebook.py and online documentation and some code on twisted site) but not I can't to understand how it's realized. Please advise me where I can read about setting and getting information beetwin sage and notebook. Because there isn't any way to install sagemathcloud on local computer I don't know how I can do such internationalization for sagemathcloud. Is there any way to do know how sagemathcloud connect to sage? Help me please.

Best regards,
Andrei Shirshov.

Andrey Novoseltsev

Mar 17, 2014, 8:00:26 PM3/17/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Is it at all possible to hook into (I)Python to catch traceback and replace it with a translation? Such an approach would work with all frontends including SMC. There can be a problem with error messages that are "constructed from pieces", but, of course, even partial translation is better than none.

If things really have to be handled by frontends, then sagenb may not be worth putting in a lot of effort since it is likely to be replaced and William is the right person to ask about SMC!

Best regards,
Andrey

William Stein

Mar 17, 2014, 8:37:48 PM3/17/14
to sage-support, IPython Development list
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Andrey Novoseltsev <novo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it at all possible to hook into (I)Python to catch traceback and replace
> it with a translation? Such an approach would work with all frontends
> including SMC. There can be a problem with error messages that are
> "constructed from pieces", but, of course, even partial translation is
> better than none.
>
> If things really have to be handled by frontends, then sagenb may not be
> worth putting in a lot of effort since it is likely to be replaced and
> William is the right person to ask about SMC!

And the IPython dev list is a good place to ask about this.

I'm sure they've thought about internationalization strategies for
IPython (the command line, web frontend, etc.).

I don't know which way will be best for SMC. There are many options
-- with anything, I usually spend a while (from minutes to *years*!)
investigating the possibilities...

William

> Best regards,
> Andrey
>

> On Sunday, 16 March 2014 00:10:15 UTC-6, Андрей Ширшов wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I decided to make a study of internationalization of error messages
>> (python traceback).
>> I came to decision there should be next steps:
>> 1. to find error messages at code of all functions/modules and systematize
>> these messages.
>> 2. to translate all messages and create table (maybe, .csv file).
>> 3. to learn how notebook or sagemathcloud connect to sage.
>> 4. to write function that catch error messages from sage to notebook or
>> sagemathcloud and translate these messages.
>>
>> I tried to understand how notebook connects to sage (I read source code or
>> notebook_object.py, run_notebook.py and online documentation and some code
>> on twisted site) but not I can't to understand how it's realized. Please
>> advise me where I can read about setting and getting information beetwin
>> sage and notebook. Because there isn't any way to install sagemathcloud on
>> local computer I don't know how I can do such internationalization for
>> sagemathcloud. Is there any way to do know how sagemathcloud connect to
>> sage? Help me please.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Andrei Shirshov.
>
> --