`maximum recursion depth exceeded` when starting notebook in sage-5.0

Benjamin Jones

May 18, 2012, 2:19:48 PM5/18/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
When starting up the sage-5.0 notebook (with the new notebook from trac #11080 and the sagecell-0.9.0 spkg installed) with directory='/home/sageserver/sage_notebook.sagenb' pointing to a notebook directory containing many existing user accounts and worksheets from a previous sage-4.7.1 install, Sage crashes on me with:

"RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object"

Has anyone else run into this problem?

If I start the notebook with directory='/home/sageserver/sage_test.sagenb' (a non-existing directory) everything works fine, but I obviously don't have all my previously existing user accounts and worksheets.

Jason Grout

May 18, 2012, 3:08:56 PM5/18/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I've seen this before, I think, a long time ago. Here is one reference
to it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/sage-notebook/SB0AdxJT7AQ/EdRL31dPDesJ

Is there any chance you could narrow down things a bit to diagnose it?
Maybe by inserting a little code in the save_worksheet function (in
/home/sageserver/sage/sage-5.0/devel/sagenb-main/sagenb/storage/filesystem_storage.py)
that prints out the username and worksheet it is working on, to try to
narrow down which worksheet it is? From the traceback, it looks like
the problem is the comparison 'worksheet._last_basic != basic'.

Thanks,

Jason

Benjamin Jones

May 18, 2012, 3:39:34 PM5/18/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply, Jason. Here is the culprit worksheet which is
owned by `pub`:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/bjones/bad_worksheet/

There were a couple of identical, essentially empty, worksheets like
this in `sage_notebook.sagenb/home/pub`. When I move them out of the
way, the notebook loads without problems.

... now the notebook won't accept existing user's passwords, but
that's for another thread.

Thanks for the help,

--
Benjamin Jones