LaTeX rendering problem in a local installation of the sage notebook server

Keir Lockridge

Jun 13, 2014, 6:29:59 PM6/13/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have Sage v6.2 installed 'in the cloud' (Amazon). The OS is RHEL. I have used Sage for a couple of years without incident, but I am suddenly having a problem with LaTeX rendering in the notebook. When I enclose a formula in double dollar signs, it renders just fine as a centered equation. When I enclose a formula in single dollar signs, it does nothing (it just appears as plain text; see attached screenshot). I didn't have this problem with v6.0, but I am sorry to say I can't swear that's the only change that I've made to the server.

The server has a working local installation of MathJax. LaTeX functionality in the locally installed wikis works fine.

Anyone have advice for diagnosing the problem?

Thanks in advance --

Keir
Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 5.23.01 PM.png

P Purkayastha

Jun 14, 2014, 7:43:20 AM6/14/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Latex in the notebook shouldn't be broken. It was completely broken for 6.1 but was fixed in 6.1.1. There has been no (released) upgrades of the notebook since then. I just checked and inline equations work fine here in 6.1.1 and 6.3.beta3. Sorry, I don't have 6.2 to test.

Keir Lockridge

Jun 14, 2014, 10:14:08 AM6/14/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I was finally quick enough to highlight and copy the MathJax error:

But, I am having trouble actually finding this file.  When I load the URL in my browser, I get a blank page ('view source' leads to an empty document) and not an error.

P Purkayastha

Jun 14, 2014, 10:23:50 AM6/14/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Is your sagenb installation complete? This file is present and
distributed with the notebook:
https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/blob/master/sagenb/data/sage/js/mathjax_sage.js

Keir Lockridge

Jun 14, 2014, 10:42:25 AM6/14/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded and complied the sources tarball for 6.0 and had been using sage -upgrade since then.

I found these files in the sage directory tree (where the 'sage' executable is), and both are non-empty:

./local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sagenb-0.10.7.2-py2.7.egg/sagenb/data/sage/js/mathjax_sage.js

./local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sagenb-0.10.8.2-py2.7.egg/sagenb/data/sage/js/mathjax_sage.js

Thanks for your help, by the way. I'm currently compiling 6.1.1 just to see if a that might solve the problem, but it's still working.

Keir Lockridge

Jun 14, 2014, 8:05:58 PM6/14/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE:

I switched to 6.1.1 and the problem went away.