./sage -br fails

G. M.-S.

Apr 23, 2022, 6:38:32 PM4/23/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Following the advice in

when trying

./sage -br

I get

[...]
/bin/sh: @cd: command not found
make: *** [sagelib-SAGE_VENV-no-deps] Error 127

real 0m0.029s
user 0m0.024s
sys 0m0.003s
Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
during this run of 'make sagelib-no-deps'):

It is safe to delete any log files [...]

What can I do?

Guillermo

Maxime Bombar

Apr 24, 2022, 5:43:24 AM4/24/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, G. M.-S.
Hi Guillermo,

if you have upgraded your system, especially python version, and/or
other Sage dependencies, it might be necessary to rebuild sage from
scratch, with a `make build`.

--
Maxime
OpenPGP_signature

G. M.-S.

Apr 24, 2022, 6:17:08 AM4/24/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Maxime.

Here is what I did.
Starting from scratch, cloned develop branch, make, make pytest, make ptestlong with no problems.
New branch with a very minor modification in one file (typo in a doc string).
So I think this applies:
Rebuilding Sage
Once you have made any changes you of course want to build Sage and try out your edits. As long as you only modified the Sage library (that is, Python and Cython files under src/sage/...) you just have to run:
./sage -br
to rebuild the Sage library and then start Sage. This should be quite fast. If you made changes to third-party packages, then you have to run
make build
as if you were installing Sage from scratch.
 Of course make build works, but my question is why ./sage -br fails with
/bin/sh: @cd: command not found

Guillermo

Matthias Koeppe

Apr 24, 2022, 10:32:22 PM4/24/22
to sage-support
Which version of Sage is this?
We fixed a bug like this recently that showed up when the environment variable MAKE was set in a particular way.

G. M.-S.

Apr 25, 2022, 5:49:04 AM4/25/22
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Matthias.

This is on the latest develop branch.

I have added a comment to the ticket you mention.

Guillermo

Matthias Koeppe

Apr 26, 2022, 4:12:32 PM4/26/22
to sage-support