promote Sage on python success stories

Karol Szkudlarek

Aug 21, 2014, 5:52:59 AM8/21/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Please consider adding on Python mainstream webpage some info about Sage project. It was a great idea to choose Python as a main programming language to implement Sage project.
So I think that python and python foundation will be proud to hear about that. So I think that it will be good idea to add some notes here:
https://www.python.org/about/success/

Regards,
Karol Szkudlarek

Nathann Cohen

Aug 27, 2014, 7:37:00 AM8/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Please consider adding on Python mainstream webpage some info about Sage project. It was a great idea to choose Python as a main programming language to implement Sage project.
So I think that python and python foundation will be proud to hear about that. So I think that it will be good idea to add some notes here:
https://www.python.org/about/success/

I am not sure that we qualify. We have an ongoing debate about whether Sage is a failure :-)

Nathann

Christophe Bal

Aug 27, 2014, 8:16:38 AM8/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

A failure ? Why ?

William A Stein

Aug 27, 2014, 8:29:05 AM8/27/14
to sage-support
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Christophe Bal <proj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A failure ? Why ?

Nathann is making a joke, based on a sage-devel thread, in which I
explain why I'm putting so much energy into https://cloud.sagemath.com
--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

kcrisman

Aug 27, 2014, 8:30:57 AM8/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

A failure ? Why ?

However, note that this is with respect to a very high goal indeed, which is to replicate every last bit of functionality in the programs mentioned in the mission statement.

Joel B. Mohler

Aug 27, 2014, 2:01:52 PM8/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
It is a very high goal but I think that "replicate every last bit of functionality" is NOT equivalent with be "a viable alternative".  After all is Mathematica a viable alternative to sage?  It certainly does not replicate every last bit of functionality of sage (one of the reasons I'd never touch mathematica with a 10 foot pole is that mathematica's idea of a programming language drastically doesn't fit my brain -- and I think the batteries included nature of python is important functionality).  But, I think I may simply have constructed an argument that it's not possible to be reach the high points of sage & mathematica in one package.

Joel (ex-sage user; now in a parallel industry)

Harald Schilly

Aug 27, 2014, 4:14:50 PM8/27/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
> https://www.python.org/about/success/

That's a nice idea, but how to submit something and what exactly? On one hand one can mention that Sage is used by "some people" and that there are a lot of Python code-lines. On the other hand, many more still do not use Sage and many lines of code are actually Cython.

Is it correct that this explains how to submit something?
http://brochure.getpython.info/learn-more

-- H

Karol Szkudlarek

Aug 29, 2014, 2:36:00 AM8/29/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
Herald,

Yes the link to brochure in python is right and in paragraph "I have interesting project" says:

"

We would like to present case studies that demonstrate how well Python can be used to implement and run real-life use cases – topics that are interesting to a wide audience and without requiring to know a lot about computers or programming.

If you work on or know about such a project, please contact us at the following mail address: brochure [at] getpython [dot] info. Thank you!"

So I think that it will be enough to write something general features maybe add some presentations and sent to broc...@getpython.info

Probably brochure writtters write an article in next brochure release.

Secondly promoting Sage is mutual gain because Sage needs Python, and Python needs project written in Python.

Karol Szk.

Karol Szkudlarek

Sep 1, 2014, 5:02:40 AM9/1/14
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, sage-ma...@googlegroups.com
Additionally SAGE may appear in "The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python" in chapter about scientific applications:

http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/scenarios/scientific/

http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/

Regards, Karol Szk.