levels of implicit_multiplication

john_perry_usm

Jan 16, 2013, 10:41:59 AM1/16/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Help!

The documentation for implicit_multiplication states,

INPUT:

       * "level" - an integer (default: None); see "implicit_mul()" for a
         list

Being the curious sort, I wanted to see the list. These are the results:

sage: implicit_mul?
Object `implicit_mul` not found.
sage: implicit_mul()
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/perry/common/service/maa_section_mtg_2013/website/<ipython console> in <module>()

NameError: name 'implicit_mul' is not defined

Hmm. What am I doing wrong?

john_perry_usm

Jan 16, 2013, 10:46:36 AM1/16/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Found the issue: implicit_mul is not visible in iPython.

Is that correct documentation, then? Kind of embarrassing that after 5 years using Sage, I still don't know...

john perry

john_perry_usm

Jan 16, 2013, 10:47:22 AM1/16/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
PS If anyone in the future has the same question & comes across this: this can be fixed easily with

sage: from sage.misc.preparser import implicit_mul

Keshav Kini

Jan 16, 2013, 1:46:15 PM1/16/13
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
john_perry_usm <john....@usm.edu> writes:

> Found the issue: implicit_mul is not visible in iPython.
>
> Is that correct documentation, then? Kind of embarrassing that after
> 5 years using Sage, I still don't know...

I think it's fine. The docstring simply refers to another function in
the same file as `implicit_multiplication()`, namely
sage/misc/preparser.py . I don't see a need to explicitly state that it
is not exported into the global namespace like
`implicit_multiplication()` is.

-Keshav